05 P71 is a bit doggy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 12:30   #1 (permalink)

05 P71 is a bit doggy

Well this 05 I just picked up seems a little sluggish, I changed the plugs, fuel filter and did an oil change. It is straight out of service and has about 70,000 miles. My brother has an 03 with 120,000 miles on it and it has WAY more power. I was suprised since from my understanding the 05 should be rated for 21 more hp. Is there something else to check out on these 4.6's? MAF or anything else? The car runs great anyways so maybe I just ended up with a factory slug!
lt1tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: 05 P71 is a bit doggy

Oh I also checked the air filter and it was a little bit dirty but nothing too bad.
Old 11-16-2010, 13:25   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Try cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner and see how it does. Also, Autozone will check if there are any codes for free.
Old 11-16-2010, 13:29   #4 (permalink)

Ok I will try the MAF, I have a code reader so I will check that out. What about the throttle body? Is it worth removing and cleaning up? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2010, 13:46   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You could do that. We've never cleaned one on any of our Crown Vics.
Old 11-16-2010, 17:28   #6 (permalink)

Well i cleaned the MAF with some electrical contact cleaner from an electronics store, also checked for codes and it has none. I thought maybe I would get a buddy of mine who runs a shop to do a fuel injection system purge just because these cars can see ALOT of idle time. I also thought the cats could possible be a little plugged but that would probaly throw some type of code? Any other suggestions? I might have to just be happy that it runs good!
Old 11-16-2010, 18:22   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

To check for a restriction in the exhaust, check the engine vacuum at idle. raise the RPM to around 2500. The vacuum reading should drop and then raise back up close to where it was at idle. If it stays low, there's a restriction.
Old 11-16-2010, 18:25   #8 (permalink)
I'm the Doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1tyrell View Post
Well i cleaned the MAF with some electrical contact cleaner from an electronics store, also checked for codes and it has none. I thought maybe I would get a buddy of mine who runs a shop to do a fuel injection system purge just because these cars can see ALOT of idle time. I also thought the cats could possible be a little plugged but that would probaly throw some type of code? Any other suggestions? I might have to just be happy that it runs good!
Could possibly be stuffed up cats. Also note that the '05 CVPIs were the first year to have Throtte-By-Wire. It is more sluggish to respond that the traditional cable setup. My ex-boyfriend's 2002 CVPI feels a big more eager, as there is a physical bit of string attached to the 'go faster' bits. The transmission will not kick down as readily with the TBW setup, either. TBW is an inexpensive way to limit how hardcore the gearbox will change down... *foot down* Please hold while I check to see if you meet certain criteria for this request. Checking.......... Request granted. *Sudden downchange*

Also, your differential is a major player. If you've for some reason got 2.73's, your car will be a dog as it's geared more for lower RPM highway cruising. You could also have 3.27's, which is a good balance in my opinion... but I believe (and I can't recall if this is fact or not) there are also 3.55's, and a 4.10 setup that could be ordered as well.

The way that you check to see which differential you have is either by the diff tag (Near the drain plug on the pumpkin), or the less reliable, but usually correct door sticker. Said sticker will be on the round of the door itself, NOT the jam on the main body. It will say "Axle Code".

Let me know what your axle code is, and I will attempt to help you further.

Cheers,
- The Doctor
Old 11-16-2010, 18:39   #9 (permalink)

Ok I will check the vacuum to, which port should I hook the gauge up to? That TBW des make alot of sense good point. Both cars have the 3.27 gears according to my axle code on the door which is X5. But ya in the next couple days I will see if I can find any exhaust restrictions.
Old 11-16-2010, 20:06   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Connect it so you're reading intake manifold vacuum. Your shop friend could point the location for you.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71