07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 12:07   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5
07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

OK so I went test driving last week and came home with a brand new (ok used but it has less then 10k on it) 07 Grand Marquis Ultimate. I love the car... except the audio system and the exaust.

It came with the 6disc changer audiophile system which on the ford site for the 08 model it shows the audiophile system has 8 speakers and a sub... I am pretty sure mine does not have that. I havent gone through the whole car yet but by my guess it is 4 speakers (probably 6x8's?) and has an amp in the trunk. However I can not find any specs on any part of this. I am trying to figure out what I have to start with as I need to sell off and buy new componetns to the stereo that I am bringing over from my 88 Beretta. Also I need to know what parts of the warranty I am voiding by installing my own head unit and speakers.

Second thing is the exaust... My Ultimate only came with single exaust and while it is nice and quite... I want my ole dual rumble back that I had with my 75 LTD Landau (460CI w/ dual exaust and turbo mufflers and cats removed). Again would I be voiding any warranty by installing a aftermarket exaust? what would be good choices for complete aftermarket systems for this car? Or should I just go to my local shop and get custom pipes bent and isntalled to fit? (thats what I had done on my 75)
Bun-Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-28-2007, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11
Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-Bun
OK so I went test driving last week and came home with a brand new (ok used but it has less then 10k on it) 07 Grand Marquis Ultimate. I love the car... except the audio system and the exaust.

It came with the 6disc changer audiophile system which on the ford site for the 08 model it shows the audiophile system has 8 speakers and a sub... I am pretty sure mine does not have that. I havent gone through the whole car yet but by my guess it is 4 speakers (probably 6x8's?) and has an amp in the trunk. However I can not find any specs on any part of this. I am trying to figure out what I have to start with as I need to sell off and buy new componetns to the stereo that I am bringing over from my 88 Beretta. Also I need to know what parts of the warranty I am voiding by installing my own head unit and speakers.

Second thing is the exaust... My Ultimate only came with single exaust and while it is nice and quite... I want my ole dual rumble back that I had with my 75 LTD Landau (460CI w/ dual exaust and turbo mufflers and cats removed). Again would I be voiding any warranty by installing a aftermarket exaust? what would be good choices for complete aftermarket systems for this car? Or should I just go to my local shop and get custom pipes bent and isntalled to fit? (thats what I had done on my 75)
The audio system I know zip about.....

On the exhaust and warrenty, you are dealing with the factory warrenty here, so the local Merc shop should tell you. My 05 came with a 100,000 mi warrenty from the dealer and the shop manager told me that the only way the warrenty would be voided would be if any mod I made CAUSED the problem that the warrenty claim is about. Hence I had duals installed today....

Again you need to check your local dealership, since they will be the first arbitrator should you take it in for warrenty work. I can't see what harm the duals would do UNLESS they are so low resistance that the lack of back pressure causes the engine to run poorly. Since this car comes with duals as an option I can't see that happening unless you go with some sort of straight thru (glasspack) mufflers.

DON'T remove the cats.....that WILL be a problem as they have the O2 sensors (besides it is a violation of federal law )

The local exhaust shop here just cut outthe "Y" pipe and ran one side to the existing muffler, and then a parallel line to a new muffler. A crossover pipe is necessary to equalize the pressures......took him 45 minutes and $189 bucks.

Check with the local dealer shop manager and see what he says about the warrenty....I'll wager you get a similar answer......
Elmer Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:50   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5
Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
The audio system I know zip about.....

On the exhaust and warrenty, you are dealing with the factory warrenty here, so the local Merc shop should tell you. My 05 came with a 100,000 mi warrenty from the dealer and the shop manager told me that the only way the warrenty would be voided would be if any mod I made CAUSED the problem that the warrenty claim is about. Hence I had duals installed today....

Again you need to check your local dealership, since they will be the first arbitrator should you take it in for warrenty work. I can't see what harm the duals would do UNLESS they are so low resistance that the lack of back pressure causes the engine to run poorly. Since this car comes with duals as an option I can't see that happening unless you go with some sort of straight thru (glasspack) mufflers.

DON'T remove the cats.....that WILL be a problem as they have the O2 sensors (besides it is a violation of federal law )

The local exhaust shop here just cut outthe "Y" pipe and ran one side to the existing muffler, and then a parallel line to a new muffler. A crossover pipe is necessary to equalize the pressures......took him 45 minutes and $189 bucks.

Check with the local dealer shop manager and see what he says about the warrenty....I'll wager you get a similar answer......
I am in Canada so there are no laws dictating that I need cats. I will just stick the O2 sensor direct in the pipe.

I will have to just go talk to the dealer then. Thanks.

Beyond that should I get the dealer to install the duals that come as an option with the marquis or rip everything out and run all custom pipe?
Bun-Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 22:22   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,829
Exclamation Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-Bun
I am in Canada so there are no laws dictating that I need cats. I will just stick the O2 sensor direct in the pipe.

I will have to just go talk to the dealer then. Thanks.

Beyond that should I get the dealer to install the duals that come as an option with the marquis or rip everything out and run all custom pipe?
If you want rumble, get rid of the stock system and get a system bent up by a good exhaust shop, and use a Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow or a 50 Series Delta Flow Mufflers. Leave the cats. You will set a check engine light without the cats. there because there's a second set of O2 sensors after the cats. monitoring what's coming out. Installing a louder exhaust system will not void the warranty. Removing the cats. will. Cats. will not affect sound or performance. As far as your sound system, just a guess, but speakers are in front doors, on package tray, on top of dash, and possibly extra small one on the top of the doors???
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:10   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

As for the warranty it should be okay. i have a 2000 Marquis and I'm going to put flowmaster super 44's with an x-pipe on it. I like it loud. And not to sound like a tool, but you would be better off with the cat left on due to emissions, no one likes toxic air.
sullee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:12   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Nathan in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Corcoran, MN
Age: 26
Posts: 283
Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
I can't see what harm the duals would do UNLESS they are so low resistance that the lack of back pressure causes the engine to run poorly. Since this car comes with duals as an option I can't see that happening unless you go with some sort of straight thru (glasspack) mufflers.
Glasspacks won't be a problem as far as making too little back pressure...the car will run just fine with them. However, not everyone likes the glasspack sound, so choose your mufflers based on your budget and personal tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
You will set a check engine light without the cats. there because there's a second set of O2 sensors after the cats. monitoring what's coming out.
Yep, what he said. Gotta keep the cats in there in order to keep the computer from setting off a code. You can have the computer retuned so that it doesn't care about the extra oxygen sensors, but it's not really worth it, if you ask me. The cats really don't pose that great of a restriction if they're working properly(i.e., not plugged).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
Cats. will not affect sound or performance.
Half right. Performance won't be affected much, but sound will. Cats actually do an amazing amount of muffling. I have factory duals with glasspacks on my car. Before I gutted the cats, it was somewhat noisy, but it was mostly a smooth rumbling. After I gutted them, it got a lot louder and you hear the individual exhaust pulses a lot more, now.
__________________

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 20:09   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11
Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

I went the cheap route on the duals. Had a muffler shop cut out the Y pipe, connect the right side to the existing muffler and pipes, and put in a second muffler (just a stock muffler) and pipes on the left side. An "H" connection ahead of the mufflers to equalize pressure and good to go.....well after the crome exhaust tips too......

The extra pipes add just the slightest rumble that I wanted, and the 15 HP.

Cost a grand total of $189 and took the shop less than 1 hour.

If you want to be fancy and get more "rumble" you can go with all new pipes and special mufflers. However, you are only getting 7% adding the duals, where you are cutting the restriction almost in half.....the added benefit of the high flow mufflers??? Can't be much, this is just a stock 4.6 we are talking about......
Elmer Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06   #8 (permalink)
Land Yacht Fan
 
ionosphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 12
Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

The 6 CD changer only comes as an audiophile system with 8 speakers and subwoofer, so unless someone removed speakers, you can't have just 4 speakers. What don't you like about what you have?
__________________
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
ionosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:46   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Stockton, Ca.
Posts: 47
Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

I am going to a local exhaust shop today and having dual exhaust installed on my CV. I plan on just getting one more muffler and doing it the cheap way like Elmer Fud did. I don't want real loud, just that rumble you get from two pipes, and of course the gas mileage and horse power improvements...
__________________
2005 Crown Vic LX
Dual Exhaust

1984 Chevy Blazer
'05 vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 14:56   #10 (permalink)
Land Yacht Fan
 
ionosphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 12
Re: 07 Grand Marquis - Audio and Exaust questions

Did you find out about the 8 speakers? I too cannot locate 4 of them in my car. Ford headquarters doesn't have a clue. Next I'm contacting the dealer. I demand to know where all the speakers are. Where I've identified 4 speaker grills, could there perhaps be 2 speakers next to each other in each of those spots?
__________________
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
ionosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.