Ford Forums banner

08 GM: Unresponsive/Sluggish Fuel Gauge

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Flyboy2004 
#1 ·
77,000 miles. I have witnessed other non-ford vehicles having sluggish fuel level gauges. Fill the tank up and while they begin to register, they take some time to get to full. However, two days ago, I filled my tank (8 miles left to empty) and it did not register anything. I drive home (6 miles) and still nothing registered (did I pump air??), The next day, it did register to 3/4 and then later in the day, it made it to full.

Is it as "simple" as a fuel tank sending unit? Before I dive into such a project (dropping the tank), I want to eliminate other possibilities. Meanwhile, I don't trust the indication and am using a trip odometer to make sure I don't run out of gas.

Thoughts before I crawl around on my driveway at the beginning of winter here in Chicago? :crying:

#4 ·
OK. Just thought it odd that it too so long to ram up at all. As I said, I have seen other makes showing only partially full after a fill up but never one that was totally non-responsive for many miles. If if happens frequently, I'll let folks know. I appreciate the fast feedback.

#5 ·
I Googled the issue you are having this morning and there were a few others with the same issue you are having. One claimed to have taken it in to Ford who says they are aware of the problem but no fix was available.

Another claims he took the fuel pump assembly out and worked the float arm a few times and its worked fine since.

I wonder if the ethanol in our fuel can gum up the potentiometer in the sending unit?

#8 ·
Very good suggestions. Usually marinas have no ethanol alcohol gasoline but it's tuff to get the car close enough to the pumps!:p
But maybe humping some five gallon gas cans from the pumps to the car is an option. I am also close to several race tracks and several stations on the road sell racing gas...also without ethanol. But that might melt the heads right off the engine!:wink2:

A can of Gumout or equivalent is probably what I'll try if the problem is persistent.

In retrospect, the weight of the float arm is probably enough to result in accurate readings when the fuel is removed from the tank. But the float doesn't have enough flotation where the arm pivot gets a little gummy so it takes some time for the arm to work its way loose to rise.
I feel better that I won't be knowledgeable about running out of gas somewhere. I have AAA and I have a GPS to tell them where I am at.:grin2: Hopefull it won't be -20F if and when it happens!:laugh:

#10 ·
Even if he filled up with the key on, as soon as he killed it and restarted, it should reset and show correct. They way I'm reading this, it goes on for some time and that's why I'm thinking its something to do with the sending unit. Plus, it seems to be an issue with many GM & CV's as others have reported.

Doesn't this car have the fuel pump mounted on the side of the tank instead of the top? If so, it might not be that hard to get to and diagnose. If you could connect an ohmmeter to the sending unit connection plug and work the float arm, that would tell the story.

#14 ·
I would try a additive that has techron in it. Also when fueling with key on or engine running the strategy for the fuel gauge is different and can take some time to show full. The only way to know for sure is to always shut the car off while fueling. If it does it while fueling key off there is a problem.

#17 ·
I know that this is an old post,but I'll reply anyway. My 2007 GM started having this problem when I fill up within the first year of buying new. Over the next 10 years it has averaged about once a year. Never could figure out what I did different to cause it. Last week I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit (was making a strange noise). This will be interesting. The car has 125,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it for a while.
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.