1978 Mercury Grand Marquis Specs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2005, 17:29   #1 (permalink)

1978 Mercury Grand Marquis Specs

I just purchased a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 460 in it and was wondering what all the other specs were on it. Is there a web site that will tell me what transmission, rear end, gears are in it?

Thanks
slowmo5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 20:13   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis Specs

Hi, just joined the forum and saw your post. Did you find the info you were looking? Good sources for details are original sales brochures, dealer albums, parts books and service manuals. Most of these can be found on Ebay.

For a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 460 engine (engine code A) the transmission is a C-6 with a 9" rear end. The standard rear axle gear is 2.50The optional axle ratio was 2.75. If the Class III trailer towing package was ordered the rear axle ratio was 3.00.

I'm a collector of the 1977-1978 Mercury Grand Marquis's (have 16 in my collection).

Hope this helps
Ltdpi460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04   #3 (permalink)
1993 Grand Marquis owner

that is awesome (your collection). i had an opportunity to get a 78 for my first car about 10 years ago, but my uncle sold it because he didn't think it would be worth it for me to go through restoring it (it was in rough shape). can you post pics of your cars somewhere, or post a link if they already are?
jlanning17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:07   #4 (permalink)

I just joined the forum and realized I'm not the only one out there that loves my '78 Marquis. I just got the tranny rebuilt, but I need to rebuild the rear end also. It has the 351M with the FMX trans. Do you by any chance know what rear end it is supposed to have?
jpachec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:56   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Check out my CarDomain - The place to show off your car pictures and photos page. My user name is Ltdpi460.
Old 02-18-2009, 18:26   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Hi, the 351M engine was offered with a standard 2.47 axle ratio or 2.50 if ordered with Traction-Lok. The rear end was Fords 8 inch.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:57   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdpi460 View Post
Hi, just joined the forum and saw your post. Did you find the info you were looking? Good sources for details are original sales brochures, dealer albums, parts books and service manuals. Most of these can be found on Ebay.

For a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 460 engine (engine code A) the transmission is a C-6 with a 9" rear end. The standard rear axle gear is 2.50The optional axle ratio was 2.75. If the Class III trailer towing package was ordered the rear axle ratio was 3.00.

I'm a collector of the 1977-1978 Mercury Grand Marquis's (have 16 in my collection).

Hope this helps
Happened to run across your post, noticed it was quite old, but will try to reach you any way. Quite an impressive collection of 78 Marquis that you have. I have a 78 Marquis that my late Dad purchased new. I do not know a lot about the car except he bought it new, it has a 400 engine in it. I am interested in knowing if the engine in it is original. I wanted to see if you could help me or knew of someone that could.

Serial Number - 8Z61S503982

Number on block - D7TE-A-2-B

I think there is something in those numbers that will tell me if this engine is original.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
MGM46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71