1983 Crown Vic and ghosts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 09:54   #1 (permalink)

1983 Crown Vic and ghosts

I need some help. I have a 1983 Crown vic 2 door in near perfect shape that I have been trying to sell. Well no one wants it because its a big car and gas prices! Well someone called to look at it and of coarse the next morning it messed up. It is a 302 TBI AOD. The problem is that it just stops running for a micro second at a time. At some times it happens 20 or 30 times in a two mile trip. It only seems to happen when not under load. If I push the gas down it has plenty of power and runs smooth. At times a no load 20MPH cruise down the road turns into a jerk fest. It doesn't stop running. It does it in drive stopped at a light. It will do it in park with the hood up. When it seems to stop I hear all the relays clicking. I disconnected the tab, tad ans what ever the third one is and started the car. It still did it. One of the clicks seems to be coming from under the air cleaner. I took that off and cleaned the connections but that didn't help. I tuned it up, changed the temp sensor,changed the O2 sensor and the cats, last summer. It sat all winter. When I first started driving it, it seemed to race all the way for that 2 mile drive. On the way home it was fine. That went away and I thought it was because it had'nt been run. But then this problem started. Its very intermittant but you can count on it to happen when the engine is cold. Other than this it works beutifully. Anyone have any ideas? For some reason I feel its fuel. I tried to locate the pump relay but have no idea where that is. The other thing I am not sure about is the crank pickup transducer. I have replaced the duraspark box and there is nothing in the distributer other than the rotor. Please help if you can. Its a great car, gets great gas mileage and I don't want to go back to my 9 miles to the gallon truck just yet.
Neil
neil_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71