1984 Crown Vic 302 Aftermarket Intake and Carb? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 19:36   #1 (permalink)

1984 Crown Vic 302 Aftermarket Intake and Carb?

Okay, I might be an idiot.

I pulled out a 302 out of a '84 Crown Victoria with the intention of putting it into a '34 Plymouth I am building. My intention is/was to install an aftermarket intake and carb on it instead of the injection carb that is currently on it. I did not save any of the computer stuff from the car before it went to the junk yard. I now had someone tell me that they did not think I could put a different intake on it because the holes in the heads were different. I want to end up with a fairly stock engine to run in my 34 but want a aluminum intake and 4 barrel on it for a mild hot rod look. Hoping someone can give me a hand here. Thanks.
84crownvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 23:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1984 Crown Vic 302 Aftermarket Intake and Carb?

Whoever you talked to had no idea what they were talking about, obviously. You can put any intake on it that you want.

That said, you said you planned on leaving the engine basically stock...do you realize the power output of those things in stock form? It's about 130 horsepower. Granted, you'd gain some with the aftermarket intake and carburetor, but the heads and cam are still crap.

Not knowing what your budget is, it's hard to make recommendations, but if you want to get some better power out of it, your best bet would be a set of GT40 heads from a '94+ Explorer with a 302. In '97 (I think) they switched to GT40P heads, which flow better than the GT40s (and even the GT40s are pretty good); the only disadvantage of the GT40P heads is that they limit your header selection somewhat.

As far as cam, being that it's an '84 block you're limited to flat tappet cams only. 302s didn't get roller cams until '86, and previous blocks aren't roller compatible. You can still find some good cams in flat tappet form, though, so not to worry. One thing to make sure of, though, is that you get one that uses the 351W firing order-- 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. The 302 firing order (can't remember it off hand) tends to overload the third main bearing, and they'll start to knock and lose oil pressure. Really not worth messing with.

Other notes--when you replace the timing chain, which you'll want to do regardless because the older 302s used a nylon gear on the cam, which deteriorates over time and gets little bits of plastic down in the pan, in addition to making your cam and ignition timing erratic, you'll want a double roller timing chain. About 35 bucks at Advance Auto; you can get 'em even cheaper on eBay.

For ignition, you'll need a Duraspark setup off of a late '70s Ford (pretty much any V8-equipped car or truck should have it). This consists of the distributor and the Duraspark module (approx 6"x6"x2" aluminum box, says "Duraspark" right on it). The engine you have used a setup called TFI, which was made to work with the fuel injection system. That won't really work with a carbureted setup. You can go aftermarket if you want, but the Duraspark setup really works quite well, is reasonably reliable, and much cheaper than something like MSD.

Anyway, good luck with it, and congratulations on dropping something other than a small block Chevy in a piece of '30s iron!

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 17:03   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply and for all the suggestions.
Old 11-21-2007, 13:17   #4 (permalink)

A couple points to help clarify Nate's post...

In 1984 they started producing the blocks with the provisions for roller cams. If your block has holes along the center of the lifter valley, it's good for roller equipment, you only need to tap those holes and find a used "spider" retainer assembly which I'm sure wouldn't be too hard. However, there are plenty of flat tappet (as opposed to roller) cams available and I'm sure you could have plenty of fun leaving it flat tappet if you decide to do that.

You can use the E7 heads from a 1987+ Mustang or most 1987+ truck 302s as well (E7 refers to the year, E = 198X and 7 = 7). They're a dime a dozen at most Mustang shops and much easier to find than the GT40/GT40P heads. In my opinion, the GT40P heads aren't worth the hassle. Once you find them and spend money on both them and the correct headers (and replace the valve springs because the stock valve springs are TERRIBLE and SHOULD NOT be reused with ANY non-stock cam) you could have bought a set of E7 heads and used headers and had the heads ported and polished.

I'm 100% behind Nathan on the timing recommendation- go with the double roller, that's what the later 302s used. It'll bolt right up and will virtually never stretch.

As for the carb and intake, I'd recommend either the Weiand Stealth or the Edelbrock Performer intake. Both are good dual plane intakes that will provide great street performance. For the carb I'd find an Edelbrock in the 600cfm range at the most... Edelbrock seems to be the carb to use if you don't know how to tune a carb and don't feel like learning.

Good luck!

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:39   #5 (permalink)

Thank you very much for the reply.

So if I was to find a set of E7 Heads, can I just use my original cam and push rods, and simply install those heads on my block (after rebuilding of course)?

And will any intake in the the models you suggested fit as long as it says it is for a 302?

Also Nathan mentioned geting a Duraspark setup for a late 70's vehicle. Are there any specific models that work better?

This is new ground for me as I have been a Chevy man for a long time. Thanks much for the help.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:10   #6 (permalink)

If you're gonna go with the E7 heads you'll want more cam, bottom line. There are lots of cheap options from which you can select, I know several people who have had great luck with Summit's 351W flat tappet cam (it'll fit your 302) kit and it's only around $80.
Any intake for a 302W (as opposed to a Boss 302 or a 302C, as are found in Australia) will fit. I prefer Weiand (that's what I have on my 351M in my Bronco) but that's just me.
My experience with the Duraspark is limited, but Ford's Duraspark is basically all the same. It's almost bombproof, but be sure you keep an extra ignition module handy. You'll learn why eventually.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 14:25   #7 (permalink)

As far as the Duraspark stuff is concerned, just make sure to get one from a non-feedback carburetor equipped vehicle. Easiest way to tell the difference is the non-feedback variety has a Duraspark with 2 electrical connections, whereas the feedback style has 3. You want the one with two. Basically with the feedback system, you've got a computer that controls the carb and the ignition system, but since you won't be using a stock carb, the computer will be lacking one thing to control, which means it won't be able to control the ignition as well...hope that makes sense.

Old 12-31-2007, 18:35   #8 (permalink)

confused Re: 1984 Crown Vic 302 Aftermarket Intake and Carb?

hi I am new on here but i think i can help, a manifold from 289 and the 302 are the same 71 through 83 i know this from biulding muscle cars and yes you can put a carborated manifold on the newer engine, i have even gone the other way put injected heads on an older motor, oh ya anyone looking for ford engines and parts i have a few. 84 ford crown vic i swaped the cfi with efi now the transmission will not get past 2nd gear fluid has been changed about 6000 miles ago, where do i look now... thanks john
fastfordtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38   #9 (permalink)

Welcome! You say you swapped the CFI out in favor of EFI? I know someone who's in the process of doing that very thing, and since very few people have done it, he's not sure what snags he's liable to run into. I'm sure he'd appreciate it if you got in contact with him. We're both members on this forum, which I think you'd enjoy if you're into the "box" style Crown Vics: Grandmarq.net

As for the problem of the trans not shifting out of second gear, is the TV cable properly adjusted? If it's not, the line pressure in the transmission will be too low and you'll start losing gears. Sorry to say it, but there's a good chance your transmission is fried.

Old 01-03-2008, 16:44   #10 (permalink)

thanks for the info, and let me know if you are needing help with any ford projects.thanks john
fastfordtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71