1984 Crown Victoria Key Tumbler - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 15:59   #1 (permalink)
1984 LTD Crown Victoria

Question 1984 Crown Victoria Key Tumbler

Hello there, long time browser, first time poster.... anywho, I have a 1984 Crown Victoria that will let you start the car with no key, even if the steering column is locked. I really have no idea of how to start the repair process, ie. if I need to remove the steering wheel, or if there is an easier way. My guess is the key tumbler is shot, but it could be something I'm not seeing too. The tumbler still works good, except for that small detail. That's what makes me thing it might be something else in there causing it to do what it's doing.

I searched the forums as good as I could, but found nothing. If anyone has a good thread they know of, or a good tech site, that would be awesome. Any help is greatly appreciated; thank you in advance!
soulwinnerrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 1984 Crown Victoria Key Tumbler

If I remember correctly, if there is a two piece plastic shroud around your steering column, you will have an access hole to remove cyl.The shroud needs to be removed.(turn key to accessory position and poke a probe through the hole to depress the retainer, pull out switch)
If there is no shroud the steering wheel has to come off to remove cyl.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 21:33   #3 (permalink)

You remember correctly - two plastic halves unscrew from the bottom of the column. The '84s are very similar to the '85s - there should be a total of 5 screws to remove.

I had to replace my ignition lock earlier this year (I had the opposite problem where one day a tumbler or two was so worn it fell out, and jammed the lock).

One word of warning - some aftermarket ignition locks don't have the tab for the one wire to solder back on. This single wire simply grounds the lock when a key is in the cylinder, which activates the chime. If you don't want to hear the chime anymore when a key is in the lock, don't bother with it. Whether the tab is there or not, there is usually enough of a metal strip on the replacement lock to solder the wire to. It's a very easy job....
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 23:09   #4 (permalink)
1984 LTD Crown Victoria

1984 Crown Victoria Key Tumbler

Thank you so much for the help you guys! I will attemt this job at the first opportunity. One question that I do have, which I'm sure has a very simple answer, is will I have a new ignition key when through? I mean, it seems logical that I would if I'm replacing the whole tumbler, but just thought I'd ask.
soulwinnerrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 23:23   #5 (permalink)

Yes, you will have two new keys supplied with the replacement lock cylinder. Naturally, they are only the square ignition keys. You'll be good for another 20 years or so...
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71