1986 Ford LTD Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 05:33   #1 (permalink)

1986 Ford LTD Problem

I am looking at buying an older Ford LTD, I was told the only problem was when it's drove for 15 minutes or so, and you turn it off, it wont start again until it cools off for a bit then it fires right up and runs. I dont know much about older cars and dont want to buy something that will be a sink hole of $$ is this car with anything at all? I believe it has the 2.4 4cyl in it. I am wanting something with decent gas milage and cheap insurance, not sure how good the gas will be, but better then my ford ranger 4x4 4.0 I am sure. Someone told me the getting hot problem could be either the starter or a heat sensor....HELP!!!
budman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2006, 08:17   #2 (permalink)
HO conversion guru

Re: 1986 Ford LTD Problem

sounds like you are talking about a LTD II, which was built off the Fox/Mustang chassis. those cars either got a 2.3L 4cyl, 3.8L V6 and a few rare cars in 85-86 got a CFI 5.0L V8 with an AOD.

anyway, about your problem, If the motor will run until you manually turn it off and it doesnt stall, I would guess its a starting system problem. I would inspect the battery, cables and starter. replacing the starter solenoid might be a good idea as they are inexpensive and usually go bad.
88grandmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:51   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1986 Ford LTD Problem

I would look at the starter. I've a a few older lincolns that have displayed that behaviour and it was a result of the starter motor heating up and then the little electric motor that turns it would refuse to engage till it cooled off. I'm not entirely sure why it would do this, but replacing the starter has always solved that problem for me.
louspinuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 17:13   #4 (permalink)

biggrin Re: 1986 Ford LTD Problem

its only the starter trust me i work at a electric shop whats happening is the armuter in the starter is getting hot and warping just replace it. parts are cheap. but if you buy it you'll find out for your self.
steves66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71