1987 Marquis 5.0L carb swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 13:03   #1 (permalink)

1987 Marquis 5.0L carb swap

I have a 1987 Grand Marquis with an AOD transmission and ECC-IV multi-port fuel injection. I have already replaced the transmission in this car once with a junk yard replacement, and the O/D bands have gone out over a year from the install. I am afriad that this car has many problems, it appears to be leaking water from the T.B. spacer, the sensors are old, idle seems to be an issue - could be IAC. Instead of putting hundreds of dollars into fixing a 5.0L with grey top injectors, I would like to swap in a C4 automatic w/ after market shifter and probably a 450cfm carb.

Does this seem reasonable? I am looking for a car that will run for a while and not give me any crap. So far this car hasn't been too bad to me, but I would like to swap a transmission in that's going to last.

I am not fimilar with what is going to work the best for this swap. Will any 302 4 barrel lower intake manifold work? Will any C4 work with the correct bellhousing, and will I need to get the drive shaft modified or replaced?

I am not too fimilar with the differenced between the C4 and AOD, but it has a mechanical speedometer cable. I would assume that the C4 is going to have a difference mechanism for making that work. Has any one ran into this issue? I am also wondering about the kick down. Any recommendations on the rear end gearing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
Psychopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71