1987 Mercury Grand Marquis Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 20:32   #1 (permalink)

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis Problems

I have the four door model if that's any help, vinyl top.

My uncle says the main problem is the idling sensor.

But there are really loud sounds that is coming from the right side of the car. My uncle has tracked it down to a pipe that leads off of the catalytic converter on the right side. For some reason there are two of them... But this pipe has a diameter less than a quarter, but it is making my engine sound like a straight pipe. He says this pipe leads to something called "Smog Control" or "Blow-off valve", and the converter itself isn't damaged, but the pipe leading to it is.

What is this part called, and why cant i find any information about it?

Thanks in advance, Rabbit.
EmoRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis Problems

It's probably the pipe to the EGR valve. They rust out and the exhaust blows out the hole. The EGR keeps NOX down and also kepps the engine from pinging.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:40   #3 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

EGR valve has nothing to do with that pipe that is leaking... what you have a problem with is called the thermactor pump. it reduces NOx as said above. the pipe comes out of rear of each cylinder head and then to a check valve, after the check valve to a "T" fitting. bottom of the "T" fitting leads to another check valve and then to the cat convertors and side leading to front of the car from the "T" goes to the thermactor pump(smog pump).

i remove this stuff on my cars since my state has no state inspections. depending on where you live you could possibly do this too. i know people in Pennsylvania and New Jersey that have bypassed this setup and still pass emissions checks on there cars. the pipe from the back of the cylinder heads can be pinched off and the same goes for the pipes from the cat convertors to make it quiet again. i will try and get pics of how it looks with A/C and smog removed under the hood. any further questions, just ask.

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:46   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic View Post
EGR valve has nothing to do with that pipe that is leaking... what you have a problem with is called the thermactor pump. it reduces NOx as said above. the pipe comes out of rear of each cylinder head and then to a check valve, after the check valve to a "T" fitting. bottom of the "T" fitting leads to another check valve and then to the cat convertors and side leading to front of the car from the "T" goes to the thermactor pump(smog pump).

i remove this stuff on my cars since my state has no state inspections. depending on where you live you could possibly do this too. i know people in Pennsylvania and New Jersey that have bypassed this setup and still pass emissions checks on there cars. the pipe from the back of the cylinder heads can be pinched off and the same goes for the pipes from the cat convertors to make it quiet again. i will try and get pics of how it looks with A/C and smog removed under the hood. any further questions, just ask.
That my friend, is one beautiful car.

I was told that running the car with holes with holes that far up in the exhaust system can lead to problems with the valves, is this true?

Edit: I live in southeastern ohio (Area code : 45714) And we are going to put the car in my name soon, will they inspect it then?

So, if i were to go to replace this pipe, would i have to buy a new thermactor pump, or could i just find a bit of pipe and repair it myself with some clamps?
EmoRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:36   #5 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

you can probably go to the junkyard and get what you need... i dont know exactly where you are saying it is broke at. i know that you can buy the check valves from the parts store. the pipe that connects the back of the cylinder heads should be connected or pinched off to avoid the leak. it will cause issues with the engine if it is leaking out. if anything, go to junkyard, take the connecting pipe from a junkyard car along with the check valve and stuff you need. on passenger side, the stuff is put together with rubber hoses and hose clamps. so you can essentially take the crossover pipe from back of cylinder heads, the check valve and the "T" fitting pieces to fix what you need. if it is the pipes from the cat convertors, splice in rubber hose with hose clamps.

about the car you see in my signature, that is technically the parts 2 door Crown Vic i have for my other 2 door i got. i also have the Grand Marq in my avatar. i have postings on my cars in the showroom area. i buy my cars not running and get them back on the road to live again instead of going to junkyards.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:53   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

87 Crown Vic is right, I forgot about the older cars. They have the EGR built in the intake manifold. He will steer you right. Most of my experience the last 10 years is with 92s and up. That parts car he has does look good.

As far as the emission testing goes this website should help:
need_a_test
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:51   #7 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

here are pictures of my girlfriends sons 1986 Grand Marquis. just finished the painting and smog and a/c removal last nite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71