1990 Crown Vic Engine and tranny - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
68falcon

Exclamation 1990 Crown Vic Engine and tranny

Hey everyone!

I have a 1990 Crown vic with a 302 in it. Are the engine blocks relatively the same as a 1968+ block?? Could you interchange parts? if not, whats the difference? Are these engines the same as the mustangs?
Also, will a C4 tranny bolt on?
Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks for your time all!!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 23:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1990 Crown Vic Engine and tranny

i dont know if the block is the same as the 68, but i do know you wont be able to swap any parts... as for the 90 302 engine it is non high output which means it has less horsepower than the 5.0 HOS that are in fox body mustangs but you can swap all parts on those two engines since the block is the same.. there is a way to convert your NON HO to HO potential considering its basically the same engine with a few jazzed up parts.. cam, injectors, ecu/computer, maf sensor, rearrange the firing order and dual exhaust ofcourse... these things taken from a mustang engine will bring your regular 5.0 to HO potential thats minus the optional intake manifold and throttlebody. c4 tranny might bolt on with or without modifications most likely with mods, its all about google my friend theres lots of information on all these subjects.. good luck
cld783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 21:05   #3 (permalink)

All 302 engines from a mustang from 86+ will interchange with your engine. I have also heard that some of the 351 parts will interchange too but I can't remember which parts.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 15:50   #4 (permalink)

As stated, the CV 302 is not the same as a Mustang/Mark VII 302.

You can swap the following parts from a Mustang engine to your CV engine with no other conversions:
Throttlebody (would require you to have your CV EGR spacer bored to match the throttle body; max bore on a CV EGR spacer is 63mm; anything bigger and you need to modify a Mustang EGR spacer to take your stock throttle linkages
Upper Intake Manifold (need to rotate it 180*, which is fine; flows better than CV)
Lower Intake Manifold (unnecessary- same as Mustang part)
Cylinder Heads (CV are E6s, while the 1987+ Mustang heads are E7s and flow a lot better)

The following parts basically require the other parts in this list to properly function. For a true HO conversion, you need all the parts listed above, too. Many people swap the parts above, then do the following when they are ready to finalize the conversion.
Camshaft (Different firing order than lopo 302)
ECM/Computer (Controls injector order and fuel/timing curves; best to use computer from a 1987-1992 Lincoln Mark VII)
Fuel Injectors (Mustang injectors are 19#, compared to the CV 14# injectors)

You do not need to re-route fuel injector wiring, but you will need to re-arrange the spark plug wires to the HO firing order once you do the cam, computer, and injectors.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 15:51   #5 (permalink)

The MAF conversion is HIGHLY unnecessary until you get into SERIOUS modifications. Don't waste your time on it.

You CAN use 1986 and older Mustang parts, but none of them will be any better than what you have on your current engine.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71