1990 Ford Crown Victoria Wagon coolant smell problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 08:35   #1 (permalink)

1990 Ford Crown Victoria Wagon coolant smell problem

Hi,
I have a 1990 Ford Crown Victoria Wagon which upon driving it, the windshield is getting fogged and it smells of coolant. The defrost on the windshield does not work, I am wiping it with a cloth.
I do not see any coolant coming from the hoses, no fluid on the ground either.
I took out 2 spark plugs and no liquid in the spark plugs. Took the radiator cap off to see if the coolant boils or pours out and over and it doesn't.
The car isn't loosing power or overheating, the coolant lever stays in the C position.
Could the coolant be leaking from the heater core? The floor mats inside of the car are dry.
Any ideas?
Thank you
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 12:31   #2 (permalink)
custom airride cv project

Re: 1990 Ford Crown Victoria Wagon coolant smell problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
Hi,
I have a 1990 Ford Crown Victoria Wagon which upon driving it, the windshield is getting fogged and it smells of coolant. The defrost on the windshield does not work, I am wiping it with a cloth.
I do not see any coolant coming from the hoses, no fluid on the ground either.
I took out 2 spark plugs and no liquid in the spark plugs. Took the radiator cap off to see if the coolant boils or pours out and over and it doesn't.
The car isn't loosing power or overheating, the coolant lever stays in the C position.
Could the coolant be leaking from the heater core? The floor mats inside of the car are dry.
Any ideas?
Thank you
Very likely the heater core. May not be bad enough to drip onto the carpet yet. On some cars you can stuff your head under the dash and have a peek through one of the flaps and see if there are any damp patches.

Andy.
Old 10-31-2010, 13:42   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

x2^ I believe it's the heater core too.
Old 10-31-2010, 21:47   #4 (permalink)

Hi, definately a heater core, and sometimes if you lift the carpet you will see it's been leaking for some time. After all the carpet padding gets soaked, then it will rise to the surface and pool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71