1990 Grand Marquis Trouble or not? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 05:51   #1 (permalink)

1990 Grand Marquis Trouble or not?

I have a 1990 Grand Marquis that was my grandparents. They have been gone for quite a while now and the car has been sitting more than it has been drove. In the past 10 years it has had about 2000 miles put on it. I decided to take it and start driving it. It has a few issues that maybe you can help with.

I drove it around town and it done okay, but my speed didnt go over like 20 mph. I drove it faster and found out that it doesnt shift into 3rd and when you put it in overdrive it is like neutral. You put it in D and it is just 1 and 2 gears. Dont know if it was like this before they passed away or not.

The slide switch to adjust the temperature for the climate control is real loose. You try to push it to the extreme left or right and the button flips off. Its like it has excessive hinge like feeling.

There is a hole in a pipe that is behind the check valve for the AIR system. It looks like it goes to the back of the head. Do they make these aftermarket or what is the best approach?

I forgot to add that it has 80,000 miles.

Thanks

Blaze
youbetcha77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 19:50   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 1990 Grand Marquis Trouble or not?

I'd change out the transmission fluid. 10 years is a long time to go without a change, regardless of mileage. If anything else, the old fluid tarnished and left a film over the gears in the tranny (not good). Same with the engine oil if you haven't done so already. Drive around in first/2nd gear and keep the rpms up (after oil change and new spark plugs!) it may require another tranny service within a few thousand miles just to make sure all the crap is out, if the transmission still misses shifts then I'm sure it will require a rebuild.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71