1994 Crown Vic LX spark plug wire set - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 21:13   #1 (permalink)

1994 Crown Vic LX spark plug wire set

Hi, I have a rough idle and plan on cleaning, replacing, checking all the parts that are the usual culprit that cause this.

I took the vehicle to a mechanic and they wanted to charge about $750 dollars to to a fuel injector clean (what that entails I don't know) replace the DPFE, plugs, wires, PCV, F.F. (don't know what F.F. is). Also they were going to clean the throttle body.

I've got a Haynes manual and this stuff looks simple. I guess my question is really about the spark plug wires. They were going to put in a $90 set. While searching for parts I found some sets that were far cheaper. Nifty colored ones too. However I'm not sure if I need 8mm or 8.5mm, and if I get the "racing" wires if I'll need to do something with the distributor cap...something about HEI.

I'm a new motorcycle rider and I've gotten my hands way dirty on my bikes, but I'm ready to get under the hood. The car drives great other than this stupid rough idle. Sometimes I feel and hear a clicking noise under the gas pedal when the car is bucking when I 1st start it. Once the few clicks go away and the ride smooths out, I'm good. At stop lights the voltage/engine will drop and rise, but I can take off smoothly once warmed up. From reading it sounds like a vacuum leak and combo of dirty throttle body, bad valves/sensors.

Here is the MSD plug wire set part # Part Number: 5008-03141664 from partsgeek.com
Also the cheap Bosch set W0133-1613330
Am I correct in that this car needs NGK TR55 plugs? Would it benefit from running hotter plugs?

I don't know if I'll need anything else besidkes plugs and one of these two sets to replace the spark part of my car. The air and fuel sensors/valves seem a lot more straightforward.
je2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 21:28   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1994 Crown Vic LX spark plug wire set

If you check one of our sponsors, Rockauto, you can get a great deal on parts. As far as the running. If it hasn.t been tuned in a long time, that would be a great idea. FF is the fuel filter. You should replace it with the other repairs. Get Motorcraft or Autolite Dual Platinum spark plugs. If not, they'll wear too fast. Make sure to use the torque specs for the spark plugs. I'd get good plug wires that the parts place shows for it. After doing these repairs, see how it runs. You may repair it with this work. Have you owned it very long? Get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF.
Old 01-11-2010, 21:55   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
If you check one of our sponsors, Rockauto, you can get a great deal on parts. As far as the running. If it hasn.t been tuned in a long time, that would be a great idea. FF is the fuel filter. You should replace it with the other repairs. Get Motorcraft or Autolite Dual Platinum spark plugs. If not, they'll wear too fast. Make sure to use the torque specs for the spark plugs. I'd get good plug wires that the parts place shows for it. After doing these repairs, see how it runs. You may repair it with this work. Have you owned it very long? Get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF.
Well, it has been tuned fairly recently. May of 2008 the serpentine belt replaced, fuel injector cleaned, throttle body cleaned, PCV valve replaced, gas filter (guessing that is just a fuel filter), brakes flushed, radiator hose and system flush, antifreeze, power steering fluid, an oil leak was fixed in the oil pan. Then a month later the DPFE was replaced. I kept getting random engagement of the ABS system. That light stays on, check engine light is intermittent.

After that my Father drove it from NJ to TX with the oil filler cap wedged up by the hood latch and battery. Halfway across the country with no oil filler cap. That is the only abuse this car has taken. My grandmother owned it before me. I kept up with oil changes and made sure to get this tune up before having it driven across the country.

Here are some links to the invoices of the work done and then the quote I paid $80 for. ugh.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3549/...26044914_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2436/...087d26b6_o.jpg

After the 2nd time to STS I said forget it. Had it driven across the US, rough idle in the 105 degree heat, took it somewhere, and this is what they say needs to be worked on

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3301/...6c659173_b.jpg

I can do the above myself I think. It's just troubling because I had spent almost $800 just a year earlier, and now it needs another $800 tune up? What is up with that?
Old 01-11-2010, 23:45   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You've got to be kidding?

68 bucks for a serpentine belt? 45 bucks to install it?
Fuel filter 21 bucks with 63 dollars labor? Surely I read that one wrong..
63 bucks labor to change a UPPER radiator hose?

These people are charging at least 250%+ markup on some parts and who knows what book they are using for labor time.

I guess I can move to NJ and make a fortune installing serpentine belts at discount rates. Oh wait, I lived in Jackson for a while in 1979
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 22:41   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
You've got to be kidding?

68 bucks for a serpentine belt? 45 bucks to install it?
Fuel filter 21 bucks with 63 dollars labor? Surely I read that one wrong..
63 bucks labor to change a UPPER radiator hose?

These people are charging at least 250%+ markup on some parts and who knows what book they are using for labor time.

I guess I can move to NJ and make a fortune installing serpentine belts at discount rates. Oh wait, I lived in Jackson for a while in 1979
But..."It's a trust thing"

Won't be happening again. I've picked up the wire kit, fuel filter, plugs, fuel injector cleaner, carb/throttle body cleaner, anti-seize grease and dielectric grease all for $100. I've got some PCB cleaner that should work ok for the MAF sensor cleaning. I'm hopeful this will get this car running better.

My only torque wrench is somewhat long, typical clicker wrench. I figure I could just make the plugs finger tight plus a tiny bit tighter with a small hand wrench. I believe I saw a chart somewhere with the amount of turning required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71