1994 Crown Victoria (former police car) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 15:49   #1 (permalink)

1994 Crown Victoria (former police car)

This is my mother's vehicle. Of course, 87 year old ladies who stay home and hardly ever venture out don't bother with learning about their cars (much to my chagrin), but I am using it for my job interviews till my Toyota can be fixed.

I want to get a sense of what may be going wrong. I have its service history since her ownership in , '01 and it has a rebuilt transmission that works just fine. since '01 it has had everything replaced fairly regularly except for the PCV valve and the spark plugs.

The "check engine light" was coming on/off the other day before my long drive in the city, and at one point after 45 minutes of driving, it stalled out at a traffic light and ignition not work until after a full minute. In other traffic that night, I could hear a "tik-tik-tik" like something small flapping or hitting the road but there were no slow leaks in any tire I could find. A stop at a convenience store after 2 hours of driving revealed a melted-rubber kind of smell that I could not really locate, and the smell went away and did not reoccur at any time.

Next morning: I'm taking the car to a job interview and when the car reaches 20 mph, the "check engine" light comes on. I get out and put in a little more oil, hoping for the best. Nope! I cancel my appointment, drive the car home and read the original manual, which says the light indicates that this is the first stage of an emissions problem. The car had just gotten its emission sticker 2 weeks ago.....

We don't want to run a computer diagnostic just yet if we can look at some other stuff by ourselves and see if they need replacing. The undercarriage and muffler look just fine with no holes, and under the hood looks just fine. Any suggestions?
Seraffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 16:55   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 1994 Crown Victoria (former police car)

Hello Seraffa:

We could guess all day, but the easiest and surest way to diagnose the problem is to check the OBD code being stored, as indicated by the check engine light.

If I had to guess, however, I would say to check the IAC valve, then check for vacuum leaks (the rubber fitting on the intake manifold cracks over the years) and check for leaks in the plastic and rubber intake "plumbing". And even with the recent emissions test, I would check your EGR valve function. Possibly a vacuum hose fell off, or was damaged during removal when being tested? Additionally, there are three small EGR grooves in the intake manifold, under the throttle valve adapter, that plug up over the years. They don't usually result in stalling, but they will cause a check eng light. I would not start changing expensive parts until I knew for sure what the problem was.

Why did you add oil? Leaking oil might account for the burning smell. Is the PCV valve seated securely in the cam cover?
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 17:39   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1994 Crown Victoria (former police car)

Follow bajariders recommendations and then check for codes. Here's how you can check for codes. Ford Fuel Injection � How To Run a Self-Test
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71