1997 Crown Victoria shuts off when I put it in Drive. I need Help!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 09:02   #1 (permalink)

confused 1997 Crown Victoria shuts off when I put it in Drive. I need Help!!!

I have a 1997 Crown Victoria, everytime I put it in Reverse or Drive, it shuts off. I put the car back in park and it cranks right back up. I have to give the car gas while I put it into reverse or drive in order for it to go. I recently had the transmission serviced and a new fuel filter put in. Can anybody point me in the right direction??? It will be greatly appreciated.
dimu505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2006, 19:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1997 Crown Victoria shuts off when I put it in Drive. I need Help!!!

Do you have to feed the car gas also while in park for it to stay running or only when putting it into gear?
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:58   #3 (permalink)

It runs fine when its in park, I only have to give it gas when I put it into gear. It runs fine in nuetral and everything.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:03   #4 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: 1997 Crown Victoria shuts off when I put it in Drive. I need Help!!!

I am no expert in cars but I would check your vacuum lines. I know had this happen with my truck it would run rough and then when you would put it in to gear it would die. Take a vacuum gauge and see what it reads. It should be about 25-30 at idle. Also physically pop the hood and listen for hissing. If there is chances are there is a leak. It is possible that the transmission guys forgot to reconnect one of the vacuum lines are pulled one off by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo4387622
Do you have to feed the car gas also while in park for it to stay running or only when putting it into gear?
stuntcardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:20   #5 (permalink)

Can I see the vaccum lines if I jack the car? thanks for the help
Old 02-04-2006, 05:07   #6 (permalink)

Wait...!
did you try checking your IAC yet(Idle Air Control)??? If there is a sticky spot in it then when you put the car in gear, the IAC tries to open more to compensate for the increased load but can't due to a physical restriction. Remove the IAC and clean it with elertromotive cleaner(any parts store should have it), let it dry out and see if it helps. If it does then get ready to replace it. It will probsbly happen again later. Also be careful not to damage the paper gasket...
foxbody5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:05   #7 (permalink)

I got the IAC valve replaced about three days ago. It ran good for the first day and then is started to do the same thing, just not as bad. When I drove it today it went into reverse fine and kind of died and caught it self when i put it into drive. I dont know whats goin on.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:56   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: 1997 Crown Victoria shuts off when I put it in Drive. I need Help!!!

You should be able to. I would start by finding where the vacuum comes from usually back of intake. Follow that line to usually a branch. Then one of those lines may go to the transmission, brake booster, etc. Check for cracks in the line or missing hoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimu505
Can I see the vaccum lines if I jack the car? thanks for the help
stuntcardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:53   #9 (permalink)

I don't know if there is a similar set up on these cars as there is on a 95 chevy PU. But on my chevy pu there was a switch that was attached to brake pedal, some sort of safet switch that went bad and I could only run in park, when I put in gear, it died. My 2 cents.
roughstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 16:43   #10 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 1997 Crown Victoria shuts off when I put it in Drive. I need Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimu505
I got the IAC valve replaced about three days ago. It ran good for the first day and then is started to do the same thing, just not as bad. When I drove it today it went into reverse fine and kind of died and caught it self when i put it into drive. I dont know whats goin on.
Did they thoroghly clean the throttle body when they replaced the IAC???
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71