Re: 1997 Fuel tank replacement procedure
From the shop manual.
1. Relieve fuel system pressure.
2. Drain fuel from the fuel tank.
3. Disconnect battery ground cable.
4. Raise vehicle on hoist.
5. Disconnect fuel hoses and tubes.
6. On vehicles equipped with a fuel tank filler pipe retainer which fastens the fuel tank filler pipe to the fuel tank, remove the screw retaining the fuel tank filler pipe retainer to the fuel tank flange.
7. Disconnect electrical connector to the fuel pump module.
8. Place a safety support under the fuel tank. Remove the nuts from one end of the fuel tank support straps. The fuel tank support straps are hinged and will swing out of the way.
9. Remove fuel tank from the vehicle.
1.Before proceeding, check the following:
a. Leak check the fuel pump module.
b. Verify evaporative emission valve is properly installed on the fuel tank top.
c. Make sure clips are installed properly on tank flange and vapor tubes are secured into clips.
d. Make all required connections which will be inaccessible after the fuel tank is installed.
2. Place the fuel tank in its proper position in the vehicle. For most models, lubricate the fuel tank filler pipe with water base tire mounting lubricant. Install the fuel tank onto the fuel tank filler pipe then bring the fuel tank into final position.
3. Bring fuel tank support straps around the fuel tank and start the retaining nut or bolt. Align fuel tank with the fuel tank support straps and check clearance to frame and underbody.
4. Check the hoses and wiring mounted on the fuel tank top to ensure they are correctly routed and will not be pinched between the fuel tank and body.
5. Tighten the fuel tank support strap retaining nuts to 29-41 N-m (22-30 lb-ft).
6. Fasten fuel tank filler pipe retainer, if removed. Tighten screws to 6.8-9.2 N-m (61-81 lb-in).
7. Reconnect the fuel hoses and tubes which were disconnected. Ensure that the fuel supply, fuel return, and vapor vent connections are made correctly.
8. Connect fuel pump module electrical connector.
9. Lower vehicle.
10. Replace fuel drained from the fuel tank.
11. Connect battery ground cable.
12. Check all connections for leaks.