1998 crown vic PI with charging issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 17:34   #1 (permalink)

1998 crown vic PI with charging issues

Hello

I have a new belt on the car I have burned out 3 alternators now, I am not sure what's going on I have not added anything or taken anything off. I just put a rebuilt on there and I am only getting 11 volts charging. does anyone know if there is some hiccup with the PI's that year? it has not had one problem till it got to about 175k on the odometer. Suggestions please

Thanks
yo101jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1998 crown vic PI with charging issues

What's the out put with the battery disconnected?
Old 07-11-2013, 21:09   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Are all of the fuses good. Check diagram #13 for the circuit. | Repair Guides | Wiring Diagrams | Wiring Diagrams | AutoZone.com
Not a good idea to run newer cars and disconnecting the battery.
Old 07-13-2013, 20:33   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
What's the out put with the battery disconnected?
Same about 11 volts
Old 07-13-2013, 22:08   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

As Bert says, check fuses, particularly fuse 2. Also check continuity through the wires on the charging end of the alternator. I think something is affecting your field flash.
Old 07-17-2013, 17:51   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
As Bert says, check fuses, particularly fuse 2. Also check continuity through the wires on the charging end of the alternator. I think something is affecting your field flash.
Ok I checked every fuse they all look good and thank you for the awesome wiring diagram. but correction when I am now getting 14.5 volts charging pull the positive on the battery the car dies. does these cars have to have a full connection to keep running with all the electronics?

Now I am frustrated my cooling fan will not kick on you think that might be a relay switch again all the fuses are in good shape. just if you have a suggestions.
Old 07-17-2013, 20:19   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Not a good idea to run newer cars and disconnecting the battery. That can cause a surge of currant and damage electrical modules and even the pcm.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

First, Bert's correct, I shouldn't have had you disconnect the battery. I'm a dinosaur and tend to forget about the electronics. It sounds like your problem is in your field flash, but that's controlled inside the alternator. Since you've all ready burnt 3, I'd like to think that the problem lies elsewhere and that you're not getting ripped off by somebody.

Make sure that your grounds to your alternator are good and solid. According to the schematics, the alternator is grounded through it's own body to the engine. I've often seen where people will run a ground wire from the alternator to the main ground for the body. Make sure your point of contacts have been cleaned and give them a coating of dielectric grease. Make sure your belt is good, most parts stores will give away, or offer very cheaply a gauge for checking that the depth of the grooves of your serpentine belt have not worn too deeply. Also check that the idlers move freely in rotation as well as in flexing and that your bearings have not worn. Basically, you want to make sure that all the components, particularly those around the alternator, are free to move and not dragging down the auxiliary drive.
Old 08-31-2013, 14:56   #9 (permalink)

I guess its charging for what it needs now thanks for the info. maybe I have more problems with this car than I thought now I lost power to the cooling fan. fan works checked it. but from what I have found the relays was switched out so I am guessing they work. but the switch for the fan to come on I jump that and still nothing I am frustrated with this.
Old 08-31-2013, 17:18   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

You have 3 power sources that may be kicking your butt, power to the PCM relay, power to the fan relay and power to the fan, plus a ground just to make things interesting.Do you have a meter to see what's geting power and what's not passing it?

Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71