1998 Grand Marquis keyless entry - special fob? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 15:27   #1 (permalink)

1998 Grand Marquis keyless entry - special fob?

I own a 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS that came to me with no spare ignition key and one keyless entry fob (aka remote, aka the little gray thing with 4 buttons that lets you unlock/lock the doors, open the trunk, and activate flashing headlights/honking horn remotely).

How does one go about getting a spare keyless entry fob to work with this car? I lost the original fob about 9 months ago and I am really missing it. I have a spare ignition key and a keyless entry fob, both of which originally went with a different Grand Marquis from around the same model year (possibly a 97, 98 or 99). I spent about 4 hours at the local Ford dealer this morning, trying to get both key and fob reprogrammed to work with my 1998 Grand Marquis.

Many rounds of "stump the technician" later, they finally got the ignition key to be recognized by the car, so I at least have a spare key. However, they stated that the keyless entry fob was probably defective, because they simply could not get the car to recognize it. This, although the fob looks fine and has never been abused (hardly used, actually - I've had it for years).

They also said they are unable to sell me a new keyless entry fob because they simply do not have any and they are no longer being made. I found this a little surprising. I seem to recall Ford using the same gray, 4-button fob for a LOT of different models over many years, including rentals I drove in the early 2000's. You can still get them on Amazon, Fleabay, etc. Well, whatever.

Do I need a specific keyless entry fob for my 1998 Grand Marquis, or can I buy one of those surplus/aftermarket fobs that looks the same as the original, then have the dealer reprogram it to work with my car? I am "lucky" enough to have the ONE GM model from the late 1990's that cannot accept new fobs with the widely known "turn ignition from 'Off' to 'Run' so many times in a row within so many seconds, press button on fob" method. Mine HAS to be taken to the dealer. But I don't want to go back there unless I have the right kind of keyless entry fob.

This is a huge pain in the butt, and I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth the effort. Anyone else run into this? As far as I can tell, Ford's "PATS" initialism really stands for "Passive-aggressive Anti-Theft System." It seems to be just as successful as preventing use by the legitimate owner as it is in keeping thieves at bay.
Marquisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 17:42   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 1998 Grand Marquis keyless entry - special fob?

Be careful if you decide to purchase a remote door lock off E Bay. I couldn't get them to work either. Sorry to say that this info will be of no help for your problem, but it might save you and other forum members some bucks.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:54   #3 (permalink)

I read somewhere that there was some kind of sequence (secrete mechanics method) that was successful, and made your fob work again? These videos aren't the fix I was thinking of, but you could give them a try.

ViMatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:57   #4 (permalink)

car key fob repair
ViMatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:10   #5 (permalink)

A Mercury Grand Marquis is definitely not a General Motors product. So I'm not sure how videos about General Motors products are supposed to be helpful. And as I explained, there is no "sequence" one can perform, without special equipment only the dealer has, that allows pairing a keyless entry fob to the 1998 Grand Marquis. It's special. It's the only GM model built that way as far as I know, and it's just my luck it would be the one I have.

I opened the fob, but it looks absolutely pristine inside. It was never used much, so this isn't surprising. Said fob was just sitting around for the past 10+ years. I put a fresh battery in it about a year ago, and the dealer tried the same thing yesterday, so that's not the problem either.

I must just have the one Grand Marquis model for which one simply cannot obtain additional keyless entry fobs.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:54   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider View Post
Be careful if you decide to purchase a remote door lock off E Bay. I couldn't get them to work either. Sorry to say that this info will be of no help for your problem, but it might save you and other forum members some bucks.
Yes at this point I think I am just going to give up. I'm not keen on shelling out for a fob that "may" work, only to waste another few hours at the dealership (and possibly $$) only to have it STILL not work.

Whoever at Ford had the bright idea to make it IMPOSSIBLE to get keyless entry fobs replaced should be beaten.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33   #7 (permalink)

Just buy the fob from the OEM dealer Genuine Ford Parts - OEM Ford Parts - BlueSpringsFordParts.com and look it up on line how to program it...

That's what I did with my f150 when I lost the set last month. Save some $$$.
F150Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 13:25   #8 (permalink)

I couldn't find the fob at first (turns out it's buried under "Electrical / Alarm System" and listed as "Transceiver"), so I called. They gave me a part number: 3W7Z15K601AA. Supposedly this is the right keyless entry fob for a 1998 Grand Marquis. He was also convinced there was a field procedure (that is, something I can do myself, not have to go to the dealer) to pair the new fob with my car.

However, prices are around $40-$50. Not really sure I want to take the chance.
Old 10-15-2013, 15:22   #9 (permalink)
Always the student

According to "Keyless Ride" it is either dealer programing or a locksmith that is a keyless ride partner
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:59   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
According to "Keyless Ride" it is either dealer programing or a locksmith that is a keyless ride partner
That makes sense. I feel reasonably confident about the part number I need but I'm still not sure if I'll give it a shot.

Of course I can't find it now, but a year or more ago I read somewhere the bit about the 1998 Grand Marquis being uniquely troublesome in the manner I have explained.

I did some further research and it seems that the extra fob I have isn't even for a Grand Marquis. Its part number is F8 DB-15K601-BA, which from what I can look up was supplied with a number of Ford or Lincoln models, but never a Grand Marquis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71