1999 Crown Vic Police Service Wiring Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 20:17   #1 (permalink)

confused 1999 Crown Vic Police Service Wiring Question

Hi,

I've got a 1999 Crown Vic P71 and wanted to take advantage of the police wiring package to power an stereo amp and a CB radio. There is supposed to be a 50 amp continuous service and 30 amp switched service available which would be excellent for powering stuff, but after standing on my head looking at the wiring harnesses coming into the passenger compartment I cannot find the wires that should be there (A large black wire with an orange stripe for the 50 amp connection and a large black wire with a light green stripe for the 30 amp).

So either the color coding on the ford wiring diagrams is wrong or these wires come in somewhere else or don't come in at all. The battery junction box has the correctly colored wires coming out of it but they never seem to make it to the right hand side of the instrument panel where Ford says they should end. There appears to be a police power relay in the #4 relay position, since I don't know why else there would be a relay here unless you have air suspension which my car doesn't have. Also fuse 16 is there for the 50 amp connection and fuse 4 is there in the box for the 30 amp connection. I can see the large black/orange wire coming out from the junction box but after that I don't know where it goes.

Ford's diagrams show connectors c247 and c246 being just to the left of the glove box but I can not find them. These are the two connectors that suppose to allow the connection of the police equipment, one is the 50 amp service and the other is the 30 amp service. Might these connectors be behind the radio? Is it worth taking out the radio to see?

Was the police wiring optional on 1999 P71s? My car was a pretty stealthy P71, from the looks of it they had only one antenna on the trunk and a bunch of stuff installed under the hood and trunk from the looks of the holes left behind. When they took off the police equipment they didn't leave any electrical connectors behind under the hood or the trunk that I could find. I wouldn't think they would have cut out all the power connections when they removed the police equipment.

If anyone wants the Ford wiring diagrams for the 99 Crown Vics, let me know, I'm happy to email them to you.

Thanks for the help,

Charlie
mtnchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 20:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1999 Crown Vic Police Service Wiring Question

Hey! I have exactly the same problem as you! I have a 97 PI, and I see the fuses, the relay, etc etc but I think the Park Ridge, IL police department shoved the wires REALLY REALLY far up there before they sold the car to me. Why don't you send me the wiring diagrams for you car, from what I understand they are pretty much the same. And, I'll keep you posted as to what I hear. Hey, BTW are you familliar with a site called crownvic.net? I'd register there if I were you, there are thousands of owners and dozens of Crown Vic experts registered there, lots of good stuff!
mattt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 21:31   #3 (permalink)

can you email me the diagrams? i have a 99 p71 and am needing to trace some things as the emergency equipment wiring is still in place. thanks.
jj10-39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
rd3

In my 2000 CVPI I found the wiring connectors ran down the firewall and under the carpet where the passenger's feet would be. When I pulled the carpet down the wiring harness popped out. I never would have found it if someone hadn't suggested looking there.
rd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 18:56   #5 (permalink)

Sorry to dredge up this old post, but I was wondering where the harness is in my 2000 CVPI myself. I've looked all over, tried looking under the flooring and unless they stuffed it in there somewhere I can't find it. The only thing I think migth have happened is there is an area coming out of my firewall just above where the passengers feet would be where there is 2 thick black wires that have been snipped off. Could this have been my power source? If so, is it possible to buy another harness and hook it up there somehow? I find it rather inconvenient that they would have snipped the whole thing off.
jwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71