1999 Grand Marquis P1405 Code - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 16:17   #1 (permalink)

1999 Grand Marquis P1405 Code

So my check engine light came on the other day. After pulling the codes, the only one there was P1405. From what I can tell, this is the DPFE upstream hose off or plugged. Honestly, I haven't a clue what the DPFE even is. Best I can tell, it's connected to the same exhaust line as the EGR. I have the Haynes repair manual and it hardly mentions the DPFE, most everything simply refers to the PFE. I don't know if it's related or not, but I also hear a sort of ticking noise when I accelerate. I can't for the life of my find the DPFE nor am I sure of the steps in troubleshooting this one. For what it's worth, I do have an OBDII scanner and the Haynes repair manual. The car does have nearly 150k miles so it seems about time for a hose or two to start going. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there any damage that is caused by my continuing to drive the car with this problem?

Thanks,
Dan
danodemano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1999 Grand Marquis P1405 Code

The DPFE is a "Differential Pressure Feedback EGR System Monitor" It's located at the rear of the engine. There are 2 hoses to it and with the sound you're hearing it probably has the hose off or the pipe is rusted. Check the hoses and see if one is off. Here's what the DPFE looks like so you know what you're looking for:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPFE.jpg (6.5 KB, 10 views)
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:30   #3 (permalink)

I found that off the NAPA web site but I wasn't sure that was the actual picture. After seeing the picture, I still didn't see it though maybe I was just missing it. Can you be a bit more specific about the "rear of the engine?" There is a lot of space under there and that still leaves a lot of room for error, if you know what I mean. I believe it's connected into the same line as the EGR (I do know where this is) looking at the diagram in the repair manual. Is this true?
Old 08-06-2009, 20:33   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Tht's where it connects, to the EGR tube. Take the cover off the engine and you can see it just to the right rear upper. It's in a tough place to get to but you can see it. Reach down and see if the hoses are intact. they might have deteriorated nad you need new ones.
Old 08-06-2009, 20:38   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

If this photo is correct for a 99, that's what is being unplugged here.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:39   #6 (permalink)

Alright, I will check for it in the morning. I have had the cover off a few times but have always been looking to the left side of the engine as this it where I believed it was (for whatever reason). If I'm understanding you correctly, it shouldn't be far from the brake system (master cylinder) which is also on the drivers side. I would bet that I do need new hoses though as the car is getting quite old, has a lot of miles, and is always parked outside. I will check it tomorrow and post back if I have any more problems or questions. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 20:42   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Those hoses are special because of the exhaust that puts pressure in them.
Old 08-06-2009, 20:42   #8 (permalink)

@jwko I'm not sure that's what mine looks like though not being in front of it I'm not sure. The EGR is on the passenger side of the engine and looking at this picture it's showing it on the drivers side (I think). Honestly if I had a good and definite picture of the thing I don't think I would have any problem finding it, I'm no stranger to an engine, though I truly do hate the emissions control system.
Old 08-06-2009, 20:44   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Those hoses are special because of the exhaust that puts pressure in them.
What do you mean they are special? I know I have to get the proper ones at the auto dealer. But before that I have to find where the bloody thing is.... :/
Old 08-06-2009, 20:45   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I wasn't for sure. I got it from autozone's repair section & sometimes (I guess) their photos are meant to be universal.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71