1999 Grand Marquis What to do with it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55   #1 (permalink)

1999 Grand Marquis What to do with it?

Hi, I'm new here and honestly short of time for a thorough Search.

This is the deal. I have a 1999 MGM with 129,000 miles which works fine and always did. I have it since new and have taken perfect care of it. Recently I have noticed that it is consuming some oil. I figured it is the valve stem seals. I leave the car at idle for a while and then accelerate it briskly and I can see the smoke from burning oil.

It is a matter of pride! This car has had to live right next to a 600 HP Pontiac GTO since 2004 and all mods and money has gone to the GTO which I race. The MGM is the one that faithfully takes me everywhere I go and the one I love the most. Never going to let go of it nor the GTO, my racing passion. However, it is time to remove the MGM heads and do some work. if this was GM car I would have no need to ask any questions, but since it is a Ford MC I know nothing about how to go about it.

Question is: What can I do to this MGM at this time to make it happy and still keep the short block as it is, unless I find something wrong after removing heads.

Nice set of mild heads? Mild cam? Can I swap the air suspension for something other that will make this car more manuverable? Give me some ideas to make this MGM stand proud next to the GTO. Where do I get parts at a good price. No I don't want the MGM up to 600 HP. I just want it to feel strong, peppy and last me another 129,000 worry free miles as it is been up to now.

Need your help here. I am from the GM crowd and know nothing about these MGM cars, other than I drive one.
lanceygm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 10:41   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1999 Grand Marquis What to do with it?

You don't have to pull the headfs to do the valve seals. It is unusual for the 98 and newer engines to have valve seal problems though. How is the compression? Mine has 153,000 miles and doesn't use oil. It was a Sheriff car here and for the 1st 80,000 miles the idiot supervisor at the repair shop had 15w40 put in it. Since I bought it it's been getting the right oil and doesn't use any.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48   #3 (permalink)

Have not done any compression tests on it. Not yet. Guess i am going to have to do that as well as a leak down test. Took it to the HWY today with a friend right behind following in another cart and gave it an acceleration all the way to WOT. Friend reported back that the car did smoke constantly. Not like if one were Seafoaming the car, but smoke did come out. I am worried about the piston rings now. Just poured 2.0 L of Methanol in the gas tank with half tank full and I am going for a long ride till I burn it all. Just in case a ring needs to get loose or unstuck.

So... I don't really know. Some people say that if you do get constant smoke out the tailpipe upon acceleration it cannot be the seals and has to be the rings. Some others say different. Compression tests will tell me what is going on.

Going to change them seals without pulling the heads and see what happens anyway.

Question: Is there a kit available to swap the timing chain and heads for a twin cam set of heads? I know, I know, only if the engine checks out A OK. Any other ideas, in the case I ever decide to push it beyond stock. Just want to know the options. Not going to race this car.
lanceygm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 13:42   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Keep us informed as to the outcome with what you do with it and the test results.

As for switching the heads, I wouldn't know since I've dealt with fleet vehicles and have no experience with mods. Someone else ma chime in on that.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71