2000 Crown vic Axle problems! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 15:06   #1 (permalink)

2000 Crown vic Axle problems!

just picked the car up and i figured it would just need a new wheel bearing in the rear but after i get the car on the lift the and can move the wheel/axle shaft in and out about ahalf inch. i pulled the diff cover and am in the prossess of pulling the axle shaft out, what do i need to replace here? is it just a bearing or is the axle shaft it self bad? When i drive the car it will clunk real hard when i turn and the car pulls a bit to one side of the road in hard accelleration..... also this is a p71 if that makes a differnce. Thanks in advance!
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 19:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Crown vic Axle problems!

I have the same Crown Vic (260K miles) and the same problem.

What did you decide to do?
want2bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 15:45   #3 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Crown vic Axle problems!

you can replace just the axle bearing and seal , Install new diff lube .Check the other side for wear while your in there. If this car has a traction lock diff (both wheels spin together in same direction)add friction modifier to the gear lube.Movement should only be 30ths of an inch in and out with no up and down.
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71