2000 Grand Marquis- Misfiring and stuttering in Drive - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 19:27   #1 (permalink)

2000 Grand Marquis- Misfiring and stuttering in Drive

My 2000 Grand Marquis has 105,000 miles on it and it started having a small hesitation/misfiring about a month ago so I contacted 3 different local dealers last week and got an estimate on changing the plugs. Man O Man, it ain't like in the old days. I got estimates from 129.95 to 680.00. It turns out the boots on the plugs are a real problem area. Anyway, they scared me into doing the job myself and the car ran great for about 2 hours running errands. Then the thing started doing the same thing only worse. I noticed when I started up the engine one time the oil pressure gauge was jumping up and down and would rest on zero for just a short time and then start jumping again.
The next day I pulled each coil and boot one at a time to check for cracks and reclean them and noticed small amount of water vapor on the outside of the boot. I recleaned them and added a small ring of Permatex weatherstrip glue to the ring that sits down on the head and also a little around the end that meets the coil to seal out any future water vapor. Just to make sure the spring did sit on the plug right, I placed it on the plug first and then dropped the boot down over it and then placed the coil on it. Did all eight pugs this way. Started the car and everything seemed fine. Next day wife drove it and came back home saying the problem was back. What in the world is causing this????? HELP!!
chevy561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 21:36   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 2000 Grand Marquis- Misfiring and stuttering in Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy561 View Post
My 2000 Grand Marquis has 105,000 miles on it and it started having a small hesitation/misfiring about a month ago so I contacted 3 different local dealers last week and got an estimate on changing the plugs. Man O Man, it ain't like in the old days. I got estimates from 129.95 to 680.00. It turns out the boots on the plugs are a real problem area. Anyway, they scared me into doing the job myself and the car ran great for about 2 hours running errands. Then the thing started doing the same thing only worse. I noticed when I started up the engine one time the oil pressure gauge was jumping up and down and would rest on zero for just a short time and then start jumping again.
The next day I pulled each coil and boot one at a time to check for cracks and reclean them and noticed small amount of water vapor on the outside of the boot. I recleaned them and added a small ring of Permatex weatherstrip glue to the ring that sits down on the head and also a little around the end that meets the coil to seal out any future water vapor. Just to make sure the spring did sit on the plug right, I placed it on the plug first and then dropped the boot down over it and then placed the coil on it. Did all eight pugs this way. Started the car and everything seemed fine. Next day wife drove it and came back home saying the problem was back. What in the world is causing this????? HELP!!
Sounds like you're overdue for a tune-up first and foremost. Next, why did you remove the springs from the coils??? They're supposed to stay in there and not be removed. Worn plugs will cause a misfire. I have heard of spark plugs breaking off in 4.6L's, but have seen a tool kit to remove them without removing the head if this happens. Misfires can be caused by a multitude of different reasons. This is probably why you had the different estimates.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 17:44   #3 (permalink)

Re: 2000 Grand Marquis- Misfiring and stuttering in Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy561 View Post
You may have a bad coil pack it seems I did. You need to get a scan done to see what cylinder is misfiring.
ronnie l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71