2001 p71 slipping - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 13:13   #1 (permalink)

2001 p71 slipping

I just bought this 2001 p71 which went from cop car to taxi. (ugh I know I shoulda just bought it from the cop auction) Live and learn........

From a stopped position it will frequently seem to shudder or slip a bit. This happens more frequently and more severely when the car has been driven a bit. I had someone drop the pan and replace the gasket and 4 quarts of fluid. (I'm not really very skilled mechanically, but getting better) I now read that this only changes out a portion of the fluid and it would have been better to flush the system. It has over 222K miles on it. When we did this original change the shudder went away but soon after returned. I'm suspect that it should be flushed out completely. I'm curious if this is just a fluid issue or if the trans should be replaced. I found a trans in a junkyard with 80k on it for 400.00 and a trans shop to do the pull and replace for 300.00 same day.

I'm I headed in the right direction to correct this issue or am I going about it all wrong.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to offer.

Elliot
stuckntrfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 15:12   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 p71 slipping

It probably needs the trans, replaced. Even though there's a lot of old fluid in there, the main cause when it's the fluid is the filter. So if the fluid and filter were changed it should have stopped the shudder and still have a lot of old fluid left.

Just for your information, I think the 2001 was the last year that a drain plug was in the torque convertor to allow it to drain. When that's drained too, it takes about 10½ qts of fluid.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 16:46   #3 (permalink)

Thanks...that was what I was pretty confident was the issue. As mentioned I already located a trans at a salvage yard versus having it rebuilt. I've been told by numerous people that rebuilds are *NOT* the way to go. What's your feeling?
Old 10-12-2009, 17:36   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It really depends on who does the rebuild. We've used Ford rebuilds and have never had an issue with them. Have had a local shop rebuild one and were happy with the work. He sold the business and we haven't heard any word on the new guys reputation. His price was a little lower than Fords. At least with Ford, if you have aproblem out of town, you can get it repaired at another Ford dealer. I was told that even the labor would be covered even though we did the install at our shop.
Old 10-25-2009, 17:02   #5 (permalink)

2 things in transmission can create this effect.
1. EPC solenoid (this one located in transmission case, kinda on the pass side and no need to remove the pan to access ). Look like metal can and not expencive. Try to replace this one first.
If problem persist
2. Pressure proportional valve in the valve body weared our and looses too much fluid.
Can be replased without rebuilding transmission, but need to remove valve body. If valve body is weared out (let your mechanic do wet-dry test with a new valve in) - better to put good used transmission from the junk yard, as your original one went through taxi life.
ginolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:40   #6 (permalink)

AWESOME. Thanks for the tip. I have been waiting to get the money to swap out with a salvaged trans but any low cost budget tips are appreciated. Dropping the pan and using 2 bottles of LUCAS trans stuff seemed to help temporarily. I will try the epc solenoid and the pressure proportion valve avenue first. What's your feeling on having the trans FLUSHED completely and putting in more of the lucas stuff?
Old 10-27-2009, 20:40   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckntrfk View Post
What's your feeling on having the trans FLUSHED completely and putting in more of the lucas stuff?
waste of money, imho
additive will not help if there is inner problem
ginolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07   #8 (permalink)

Gonna go after the solenoid then and see how that fairs. ANYONE IN COLUMBUS got a 2001 tranny with low miles in case this goes poorly?

OH...and at a fair price?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:14   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You can try here for a transmission. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06   #10 (permalink)

RTG143 GREAT SUGGESTION for a place to find a trans.

I'm curious from the selections available I find the following three....

Police, gasoline, ID 1W7P-CARM
Police, gasoline, ID 1W7P-CA
Police, gasoline, ID 1W7Z-CARM

How would I know which I have? The vin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71