2003 Crown Victoria Rear Brake problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 20:05   #1 (permalink)

2003 Crown Victoria Rear Brake problem

Good evening,

I have a 2003 Crown Vic. I recently noticed brake fluid on the inside of my passenger side rear tire. Tonight I took the tire off and expected to have to replace a caliper. I inspected the caliper and it looks good. The pads are full of fluid, but it does not appear to be coming from the caliper. The fluid seems to be coming from inside the rotor where the emergency brakes are located. I haven't removed the rotors yet, but was wondering what in there could be leaking. I didn't think that the emergency brake used hydraulics. Is there a trick to removing the rotor?

Thanks!
ctarmen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 20:33   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2003 Crown Victoria Rear Brake problem

I'd bet that it's the axle seal. It could also be the bearing causing movement on the seal. When it's off the ground, lift up and down on the wheel and see how much movement you have. There should be only a VERY slight movement. Compare it with the opposite side. The park brake is controlled by a cable.
Old 09-17-2010, 21:21   #3 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

sounds like the bearing and axle seal went bad if you ask me... that involves getting an axle pulled out and changing out the parts...

first, make sure you can take out the filler plug out of the rearend...
second if it comes out, unbolt the rearend cover and take all out except a few at top...
third if it sticks, pop it loose some and get it to drain out...
fourth, you will have to clean the surface of rear and the cover to be resealed
fifth you will have to unbolt the set bolt in the rearend and get the center pin out
sixth you will need to push that axle in a lil from outside to undo the "C" clip...
seventh carefully remove the axle and set aside so it doesnt get hurt
eighth change parts and then reinstall the stuff you took apart...

i have had to do this because of a car that i couldnt get a socket on and swapped axles from a parts car i had... it isnt too hard and i am sure the car could use a rear differential service anyway... i would suggest using royal purple gear oil synthetic since it is oil you rarely ever change and will last longer than most other stuff

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 20:20   #4 (permalink)

We've had to change a plenty of seals and bearings lately and it could have problems at the spider gears too. When you pull your differential cover to change the seal and/or bearing, Check your spider gears thoroughly for any damage and I mean check thoroughly. If the spider gears show ANY signs of galling or chunking, replace them and your clutches if it's a limited slip diff. It's expensive but worth it. We had a lot of axle bearings go bad on us and then come back again a month later with the same ailment. I never slacked on a good cleanup of the axle tubes but I know I overlooked the spider gears a couple times just because I didn't know any better. Then I had to change out some bad clutches in an axle and that's when I noticed the galled and chunked out spider gears. The debris got slung everywhere and started costing us a lot of money. Once I started the thorough inspection and replacements, the repeat comeback axles stopped coming back. There should be a couple pics showing an extreme example of bearing and seal damage that we've had to deal with. Make sure to refill the differential with the correct diff lube and friction modifier if you've got the limited slip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0467-2.jpg (106.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0468-2.jpg (70.8 KB, 4 views)
no_common_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 21:21   #5 (permalink)

Garage

I also agree. Without a doubt it is the axle seal. My 91 Town Car did this exact thing once and the brake light actually came on too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71