2004 Crown Vic questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 01:25   #1 (permalink)

Question 2004 Crown Vic questions

My '97 Geo Prizm has been nickel and dimeing me to death lately and I'm mulling over my next car that I plan to get before next year. I want something comfortable, long-lasting and cheap to fix, so a 2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport is looking pretty good. I picked a 2004 since it's new enough that I can find one good enough to (hopefully) last a decade, but old enough to buy for under ten grand. I also am looking at the '04 for that year's improvements to the acceleration and I want the Sport model for the improved seating. I do have a few questions I can't find ready answers to, though.

1. I am worried a bit about the mileage so I have a couple questions regarding that:
(a) I believe I read the Sport has a different axle ratio. Does that affect mileage significantly?
(b) Is the trip computer mpg meter real-time? I'd like to be able to keep an eye on that and adjust my driving.

2. I read the Crown Vic's AC is very good, but what about the heater? The one in my Mom's Focus kinda sucks, at least in the time it takes to warm up.

3. Is the ride as smooth as the Grand Marquis?

Thanks for any help you folks can give. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask them.
JDParshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 04:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2004 Crown Vic questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDParshall View Post
My '97 Geo Prizm has been nickel and dimeing me to death lately and I'm mulling over my next car that I plan to get before next year. I want something comfortable, long-lasting and cheap to fix, so a 2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport is looking pretty good. I picked a 2004 since it's new enough that I can find one good enough to (hopefully) last a decade, but old enough to buy for under ten grand. I also am looking at the '04 for that year's improvements to the acceleration and I want the Sport model for the improved seating. I do have a few questions I can't find ready answers to, though.

1. I am worried a bit about the mileage so I have a couple questions regarding that:
(a) I believe I read the Sport has a different axle ratio. Does that affect mileage significantly?
Not sure that it is... My 2004 CV Sport has an open rear end with a 3.20 series gear. You will have to look at the door code.
(b) Is the trip computer mpg meter real-time? I'd like to be able to keep an eye on that and adjust my driving.
Nope. You will get trip mileage and compass direction.

2. I read the Crown Vic's AC is very good, but what about the heater? The one in my Mom's Focus kinda sucks, at least in the time it takes to warm up.
Mine has a 180 degree t-stat and it gets me plenty hot here in Chicago!

3. Is the ride as smooth as the Grand Marquis?
Dun no... I never been in one. But I can't feel or hear the road in mine.

Thanks for any help you folks can give. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask them.
I'm sure others will chime in and correct any error in this, but I think the CV sports are a better buy than the P71. From what I read the sports have the same HP, same engine, better suspension, but smaller Mas, air box, and intake tube (which are cheap to upgrade!) But they are much more expensive. I bought mine last July with 67,000 miles right before the credit bubble burst for $9,500 in West Chicago, IL. Good luck finding one. I did a 1000 mile search and only 3 turned up. Two of the three were over 700 miles away from me.
jayken302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71