2004 CV Rear Passenger Wheel "OIL"? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14   #1 (permalink)

2004 CV Rear Passenger Wheel "OIL"?

Just bought this baby and drove her home from Nebraska. After 300 miles pulled off the interstate and coasted down the offramp. Applied brakes slowly but as I got to the stop sign the car's ABS feature felt like it was REALLY firing up. The ABS light lit up and when I pulled her into the gas station the right rear wheel had some faint smoke lifting out of it. Smelled like really light popcorn oil, I saw some spray on the wheel well, and the smoke was rising off the exhaust pipe where some of the spray had landed. After that I had my wife drive the car around the station and could hear some definite grinding from that specific wheel, no others.

I am posting some pictures as I am not ENTIRELY sure what the problem is. My first thought was definitely the brake system (Caliper, Pad, or Rotor) but this fluid, it is not brake fluid (at least Im not sure yet) as the master cylinder still is at max level. After driving vehicle for 5 minutes the wheel hub, and entire rim is blazing hot, no other hubs are even mildly warm. Took a shot of the rear diff., Rotor Pad, and the Wheel Well.

Diff. looks wet, but I don't see any noticeable or large leaks. I have never worked on any american car, have done plenty of mechanical work on Foreign Models. Need help identifying issue!!

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...rPassenger.jpg
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...PlateRotor.jpg
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...1/RearDiff.jpg

Could it possibly be one of the Caliper's Pistons breaking the rubber seal, could this be the grease from the caliper piston that sprayed? I hope to god it is just that, cause that's an EASY repair. Maybe I'll just put on some performance brakes since I'm under there. Still, I'd feel more comfortable if someone else knew what was going on... I haven't pulled the caliper yet, rotor doesn't look glazed or lipped...

Last edited by Kithrax; 06-22-2009 at 11:26. Reason: adding info
Kithrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 15:38   #2 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Re: 2004 CV Rear Passenger Wheel "OIL"?

It's the axle bearing. Click my black Bronco in my sig & read the captions in the 8.8" Axle album. Once you replace the bearing (& seal), you also have to replace the brake pads because they're contaminated with oil, and so are the e-brake shoes. If the rotors are old (thin/warped), you might as well replace them at the same time & just not have to worry about them again for several years. For pics specific to that car's axle, click my '99 P71 & look thru the E-Brake Shoes album.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 22:42   #3 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the info, Ill check into what I need to do to pull the axle and replace the bearing. I guess $20 bucks to replace a bearing and seal isn't so bad, I hope the axle isnt worn :(. OK so I have replaced a bearing before, but I have NEVER messed with differentials, so I gotta drain that transfer case, but is the process fairly simple when pushing that axle out? Or is it a major PITA? P.S. Couldnt find your E-brake Album, but the Bronco pics are helpful, only difference I see so far is that you have rear drums, instead of discs.
Old 06-22-2009, 23:15   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithrax View Post
Hey thanks for the info, Ill check into what I need to do to pull the axle and replace the bearing. I guess $20 bucks to replace a bearing and seal isn't so bad, I hope the axle isnt worn :(. OK so I have replaced a bearing before, but I have NEVER messed with differentials, so I gotta drain that transfer case, but is the process fairly simple when pushing that axle out? Or is it a major PITA? P.S. Couldnt find your E-brake Album, but the Bronco pics are helpful, only difference I see so far is that you have rear drums, instead of discs.
It's located here 1999 Ford Crown Victoria E-Brake Shoes pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08   #5 (permalink)

Alright I'm ready to give this a whirl, Im still a little confused on ONE thing. So I get the case open, drain the fluid then twirl the driveshaft until I can see the pinion bolt, or retaining bolt, get that bad boy off, and slide the bolt out... Is it just that easy, after sliding this bolt out the axle then slides out as well??? Is there anything I should be very careful on so I dont mess up the gears. I dont wanna @#$% something up here Thanks for all your help guys. I just wanna save some money here!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

After you slide the pin out, push the axle in to remove the horse-shoe clip that holds the axle in.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 15:09   #7 (permalink)

Check that out, excellent! Thank you sir! I'll let you guys know how she goes! This should be no problem now.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:32   #8 (permalink)

Ok I opened her up, got the pinion shaft pulled out then I thought this thing just slid out but what the hell is it? and how do I remove it??? Noones pictures has it, please help me out once again, I can't tell what kind of trick is needed to budge this thing.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...hrax1/Diff.jpg
Old 06-26-2009, 09:11   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You don't have to take that out. You have to loosen the wheel speed sensors quite a bit and shove the shafts in to remove the U-clip. Sometimes you need to rotate the axle a little so the wheel stud doesn't go against the park brake parts in order to move the shaft in enough.

That's the spring to compress the Posi-trac clutches. You only remove it to do the clutches.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50   #10 (permalink)

Damn, somehow I pushed the spider gears out of alignment... Im losing confidence fast :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71