2004 grand marquis won't start up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49   #1 (permalink)

confused 2004 grand marquis won't start up

question for u guys. it was raining monday morning but the car started up no problem. during my one hour drive first I noticed the turning signal light sound was distorted, almost like a noise from a broken speaker. and the turning lights weren't working. then my abs, brake and traction control lights started tyurning on and off on dashboard. check engine or battery lights never turned on. just the abs, brake and traction control lights were on and off every 5-10 seconds. i got to work, checked my emergency flashing lights and they were workinmg fine. few hours later I try to start up the car and nothing.... wont' even turn once. tried to jump it thinking maybe the battery was low, no go. alternator is fine, bat is fine, starter does not make that clicking sound that it would normally if it was broken. i checked all fuses, all are good. tried two different keys, same thing. windows, locks, radio, lights, wipers, everything works fine.

friend told me it could be the ignition module (the electrical part in steering wheel)

any other ideas? thank you
MrMarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 20:58   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2004 grand marquis won't start up

Does it have an add on like remote start? There's been no normal problem with ignition switches but it could happen. Without seeing it and being able to do some checking, it would be hard to diagnose.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 19:16   #3 (permalink)

whenever ABS system has a problem - it comes together with brake and traction control lights.
might be wiring problem too..
take it to mechanic and let them trace power loss to the starter
ginolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 21:42   #4 (permalink)

I have replaced the ignition switch (electrical portion) that's in the steering column (it has a moving bolt in it, when you turn the ignition key it moves this bolt) but that didn't help. Could it be the turn signal/wiper handle? My turning lights stopped working and the emergency flashing lights are working fine...

I know I can take it to a mechanic and get it fixed, I am just trying to find a cheaper alternative. Like everybody else I have tons of bills to pay and 2 kids :)

I'll try to remove the starter to get it tested, but honestly I think it's something electrical somewhere else. I just thought someone else had a similar/same problem and knows what the fix is.

I would appreciate any help! Thank you guys!
Old 04-26-2009, 21:49   #5 (permalink)

I use the stock keys and remote controls. No extra starter/alarm system. I am the 2nd owner and I know for sure there was no starter/alarm system installed in this car before.

The only other problems I had before were two things: check engine light came on and went off after 2/3 months because of some small air leak

and heavy metallic rattling noise in catalytic converters, first the right one and then the left one, both stopped after about 2 months. Car was already out of warranty so I didn't do anything with that but there weren't any problems since. Never had a battery/alternator problem, and I would know if alternator was going bad. Battery is fine too.
Old 04-27-2009, 18:45   #6 (permalink)

does your starter have an eyelet connection or a push on spade connection. there have been know problems with the spade connection corroding. i would pull the wire off and clean the connections.
88poney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:52   #7 (permalink)

I am not sure about the connection. The car is about 1 hr away from home at my work and I am waiting for a day when it's not raining so I can check that. I'll try to clean the connectors and check/replace the starter tomorrow (I heard it might stop raining tomorrow morning). Thanks for all ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71