Ford Forums banner

2006 Mercury Grand marquis unintended acceleration?

10K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  buzzbomb1 
#1 ·
My wife was out driving our 06 mercury GM today and she stepped on the gas lightly and the car took off!. She pushed the brakes with both feet and the antilock was running and it still wanted to go. She switched off the key and called me right away pretty shook up as she just missed rear ending a car. I arrived and checked out the car and could find nothing wrong with it and drove it home almost 40 miles using the cruise and putting it to the floor and the accelerator cable worked smooth so it was not that. I am a retired mechanic so i know my way around and was wondering did ford have any pcm problems with the 2006 grand marquis as i can think of nothing else that would cause this problem. She never uses the cruise.-Thank you all in advance

#4 ·
THIS ISN'T GOOD!
I have just bought a used 2006 Marquis, I too noticed it does not have a cable. Thursday I punched it kinda hard, not to the floor, but pretty way in there and all of a sudden when I let off the pedal, it kept going faster and faster up to 83 mph. I too pressed on the brakes and finally was going to kill the ignition when it finally started to slow down. Luckly it was 5 am on the highway and very little traffic. I think there is a problem here! I dont know if this is the first year that they started to use this type of throttle, but some is going to get hurt and Ford has to answer to that. I think I'm gong to report this incident! since it happend to you also. Does anyone know where to start?

#5 ·
P.S. I just sent an email to Ford to direct to the ENGINEERING/DESIGN department. Hopefully then will respond to me with this issue. In a quick summary since this is a computer controlled vehicle for the most part, It seems that when you floor it the computer will keep computing for max speed and when you let off the pedal it may take a few seconds for the computer to recalculate that the pedal is not to max anymore and will THEN begin adjusting for a slower speed. Could be a software issues. Regardless I dont need to total out another car. Two times is enough already.
art

#7 ·
Thanks for the nhtsa website, I just finished filing an investigation into this. It can be a traggic thing. Buzzbomb1 I hope can go to the site above and file a complaint also. If i get some time I'm gonna talk to othere Merc driver and the local police / taxi drivers, then have crown vics, but probably with the electronic speed control also. I'll see if they have heard anything about this.
thanks guys and gals.
art

#9 ·
Buzzbomb-
I work for an insurance company and one of my customers had an accident with their customer's 06 Mercury Marquis due to this issue.

The valet got in and the vehicle just took off. Slammed into another vehicle causing major damage. Thank goodness the driver was not hurt.

Have you heard any other info on this issue

#11 ·
Hello everyone- Just checking in and i have to report the problem has not happened again so it may have been the thick floormat.

I am having an emergency brake problem to where you press on the emergency brake and it goes right ot the floor without engaging. I will post this problem with a new heading. I have never used the E.B. since new and this sure was a surpiize!. The car only has 31 thous on it and is out of waranty unfortunally

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.