4.6 L cold am weather wont start Grand Marquis 06 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09   #1 (permalink)

4.6 L cold am weather wont start Grand Marquis 06

Weather has been cooler in the am (about 40 to 50's).
The car cranks but sounds flooded. I have to floor the pedal and crank it to start it. There are no engine errors, ran scan tool : didnt show any issues.
I do have a K&N aftermarket intake on it. Was wondering if too much moisture
accumulates overnight. Any suggestions. Other than this the car starts fine in the day. If it sits for 12 hours or so, I again have to floor the pedal then crank to start. Only since this cooler weather has started this problem has occured. It also started happening around the same time last year when it was cooler.
thanks.
mercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 4.6 L cold am weather wont start Grand Marquis 06

You have electronic fuel injection, you shouldn't have to touch the pedal. Have you checked for codes? I'm wondering if it's an issue with the MAF, by pushing the pedal, you're opening the throttle body and allowing a higher air flow past it. Along with checking for codes, try cleaning the sensor and see if it improves.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:36   #3 (permalink)

When I first bought my 97 MGM it started hard when cold and the culprit was a dirty MAF sensor.
WillMarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 16:20   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. Yes I never have to press the pedal to start the car but during the coolder am weather I have to floor the pedal for it to start. I will clean the MAF. I think I did that last year but didnt help. I did have the fuel system checked last year and for this problem: shop found no issues with fuel pressure, etc and no codes. I took it in the day. They wanted me to leave it overnight and then they could see how it would start in the a.m. but were full to leave inside the garage. Again thanks. I will keep you posted.
mercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:59   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Not really genned up on that engine but a faulty engine coolant temp sensor is a common cause of the symptoms you describe on starting faults .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

K&N's have been known to pick up moisture in wet climates. Additionally, they will pass dust if not serviced correctly. Make sure they are oiled properly! They will not filter when dry. BTW, Crown Vic's and Mercs have a factory cold air intake.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71