78 Grand Marquis Won't Start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 07:51   #1 (permalink)

78 Grand Marquis Won't Start

Hiya. I could have sworn I posted this yesterday, but I guess not.

I have a 1978 Grand Marquis, with a 460 v8, and it won't start.

The carbeurator, voltage regulator, and all the wires are pretty new, so I don't think it's any of them. I checked the fuel line, and fuel is getting to the carbeurator, so I don't think it's the fuel pump. I checked the battery, and it has a full charge.

It sounds like it wants to start. It goes "Vrum vrum vrum" (I don't know how else to describe it), but it won't start up.

Anyone have an idea of what I should check next?

Thanks,
Emily
Spattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2006, 11:51   #2 (permalink)
Crownvic

Re: 78 Grand Marquis Won't Start

Is your duraspark box completely bitched? It's usually on the drivers wheel well under the hood. I replaced this when mine was getting uppity and all was well after. Then I just changed everything to MSD because I like to spend money. Also make sure that horse shoe looking clip on your coil is seated properly.

Best of luck.
CrownVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 18:47   #3 (permalink)
Crownvic

The stunning silence either means it works or you gave up. :-)
Old 07-05-2006, 11:27   #4 (permalink)

Indeed. He said the wires and such are pretty new so he didn't think it was any of them. If the engine is turning, and fuel is getting to the carb, then the next thing to do is actually CHECK to make sure you have spark at all the cylinders. If not, then check all ignition parts. Also, it's a 78, they still had distributors. Check the distributor to see if it came loose, turned, or is generally out of the proper timing position. Gotta get old school, heheh.
greenmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 20:51   #5 (permalink)
Crownvic

If you're still reading this, if you have an old spark plug still, pull off a boot, I guess from #1, put it on the loose plug and ground it to something away from the carb or battery and crank it over and see if you have any spark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71