83 Crown Vic 5.0 Alternator Problems... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 13:55   #1 (permalink)

confused 83 Crown Vic 5.0 Alternator Problems...

Got a 83 Crown Vic 302 C.I. 5.0L - Just rebuilt the motor from the ground up. Removed the air conditioning and Smog pump. engine runs off one belt. brand new electronics as far as Battery, Starter, Starter solenoid, alternator, coil, distributor, plugs, wires, voltage regulator, ignition control module, and ignition switch. My problem lies in my wiring somewhere (I THINK). instead of speculating and wasting space here are the facts.
1 The car runs like a dream when you hook a hot wire from the battery to the FIELD (white) post on the alternator. (i know this is bad for the alternator. so i do not run it like this)
2 When the alternator is hooked up in the order the old one came off the AMP light stays on and the car runs like its out of time or misfiring...also not charging the battery...
3 i have replaced all the wires that were kinked and could have breaks/shorts in them as far as i can see.
4 If you disconnect the battery while the engine is running (correct wiring to the alternator according to a ford diagram found on Google for a 83 ford 302 motor...) THE CAR RUNS. But it runs VERY rough And the windshield wipers come on...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am in auto tech school right now and it even has my teachers stumped. they say its a short somewhere. i wouldnt care how it got fixed if i can just bypass something or rig it up... but i need this car for right now and im planning on swapping this motor into another ford car soon. The motor runs great... when supplied the proper voltage...i just cant get it to run with the correct wiring hooked up by its self. I have to cheat off the + side of the batt to the field... The field wire should come stock off the voltage reg. which it does and thats how i have it hooked up... the ALTERNATOR IS BRAND NEW.

Last edited by Ford_Man; 10-20-2013 at 17:04. Reason: to be more specific. see if i get more answers.
Ford_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 06:23   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 83 Crown Vic 5.0 Alternator Problems...

Have you checked the wiring harness for shorts?
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:04   #3 (permalink)

No. i sure havent. i have searched every where else. Inside and under the Dashboard, and all the wiring that is going to the and coming from the motor. Thank you i will try this and let you know what turn up.
Old 10-22-2013, 13:06   #4 (permalink)

i have replaced all the shorts that i can find... if i took a picture of this you would see mostly new wiring... this one has me confused...
Old 10-22-2013, 15:00   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

If you have a ohmmeter check continuity at both ends of the 2 wires (F & S) that run from the alternator to the regulator. Also check continuity at both ends of the wire that runs from the regulator to the solenoid. There has to be a blown fusible link or a broke wire somewhere.

From what I can tell by the schematics on autozone, there is a fusible link inline between the solenoid and the alternator. Also shows a fusible link between the solenoid and the Engine Control System which shows to be a pink/black wire.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 19:04   #6 (permalink)

thank you. can you post that auto zone link?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:59   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:59   #8 (permalink)

right on. thank you. I know this... i took off the factory alternator because when you disconnected it from the batt. the car shut off... now with the new high dollar one on there from O'Reilly's, the car runs when you d/c the batt cables but the wipers come on full speed. and the car runs like hammered crap. I will keep running through it and see what i can find. even with the wipers fuse pulled it still wont run right...
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11   #9 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

i am wondering if wiring in the column is fried... have had issues i had to fix where plug for wiper switch or high beam/ turn signal went bad and plugs were fried... have to figure that stuff runs in column and those switches where wires plug in get fried from no relay switch to headlights and running all power to headlights threw the switch in column... check the signal switch and wiper switches in column along with wiring on plugs for them...

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 15:07   #10 (permalink)

that sounds pretty good to me. thats where i have been looking the past 3 days. i know if you put the wipers on high they really go... like too fast.... its violent! and if you D/C the + batt cable while the engine is running.... the wipers come on faster than full speed... and if you turn on the lights when it rains the wipers come on automatically... i know in 1983 they didnt have the water sensing windshields or wipers lmao.... its a short somewhere... the question is where.... its like something is pulling constant power... ill check in the column tho. thats a good idea thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71