83 Grand Marquis Rough Running - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 12:40   #1 (permalink)
Taj

83 Grand Marquis Rough Running

New to the site...and a newbie to Fords in general.

83 Grand Marquis with 139k miles. 302 FI engine...all original. Will start fine but recently had a scary incident: travelling at about 60mph, the motor started losing power. Required more gas pedal...but was soon only doing about 20mph with gas floored. Did begin to smoke some out the exhaust.

Not sure if this is a 'full tuneup' kinda fix, or symptomatic of something far worse.

Also, on this model, is the FI a throttle-body design or are there injectors at each cylinder??

Any help/advice much appreciated!!

Taj
Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 18:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: 83 Grand Marquis Rough Running

First off, I thought '83 was straight carb... if it IS a form of EFI, it'll be throttle body type, known as CFI.

Your power loss sounds like a plugged catalytic converter. If the problem persists, drop the exhaust at the manifolds and drive it. If it has the power again, you need new cats.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 17:51   #3 (permalink)

83 huh, not sure, but check under the hood. You should know what an injector looks like. I'd start with the simple and obvious (yes I'm an optimist). When was the fuel filter last changed? A quick disconnect tool, a new fuel filter and a trip under the car will let you find the filter (most are located on the driver's side frame ,inside frame, and are snap in and out cannister types) and change it for little money. Word of caution though, get out the air hose and blow the road debris out of the quick disconnect fittings BEFORE using the tool, or you will have a fitting which is neither quick, nor will it disconnect.

If this fixes the problem, great. Throw in a bottle or two of injector cleaner in the tank and be done with it. If it doesn't fix it, then I'd look at the CAT also.
greenmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 18:34   #4 (permalink)
Wrench Hound

I would agree about the cats, but one question, what type of smoke, color, thickness, smell, etc? Did the engine have any odd noises about it, water temp get high, oil pressure low...... etc?
_JunkY4rdD4wg_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 19:56   #5 (permalink)

On the Panthers, the fuel filter is on the passenger side along the frame rail.

My Garage
Old 06-24-2006, 21:06   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the correction on filter side of frame!
greenmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 21:10   #7 (permalink)

I spent half an hour in the parts store parking lot searching for the filter on the driver's side, because that's where I was told it'd be.
Looked under the passenger side, found it, and had the thing swapped ten minutes later. Hehehe.

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71