84 crown vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2004, 05:19   #1 (permalink)

84 crown vic

A month or so ago I got my own car, an 84 crown vic. I have a couple questions... I have a high idle problem and have heard it is common on these cars, but noone can tell me how to fix it
and When the car is floored from a stop it will sit and spudder instead of going forword, any ideas anyone?
T_Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2004, 20:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: 84 crown vic

Well this is what i believe it might be.

For CFI check the voltage on your TPS Module....it should be .98-1.0 volts i do believe. after that i would investigate things like when's the last time the car had a tune up?
plugs, wires, and even the coolant temp sensor can affect the car this way. even after all that it's still a CFI car and will still have eccentricities that are beyond repair...well that is until you convert to carb or swap the engine.
Now as for the idle there is really nothing u can do but try this because sometimes this works, If its always fast, I'd check out the thermo-idle stepper device on the passenger side of the CFI unit. Move the little rod that comes out of the vacuum activated part and make sure its not hung up on anything.
Depending on your climate, this thing isnt even necessary and has been sucessfully removed on a Florida CFI here for example.
So yeah, if this cold-idle thing doesnt look bound up, you can easily adjust the idle down... simmilar to how you do with a carb - but expect it to idle lower for cold starts as well.

Now for EFI clean out your IAC (idle air control) and you should be good to go. you might also check your TPS (throttle position sensor).

but if none of these work give me a little more detail on the car and your problems and i might be able to help you out some more.

Hope this Helped
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 20:56   #3 (permalink)

Also change the fuel and air filters if not done already.
Old 06-29-2004, 20:22   #4 (permalink)

Re: 84 crown vic - test for arcing?

How do I test my plug wires etc for arcing, I hear arcing somewhere near the ignition coil and I want to find out exactly where it is coming from
T_Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:35   #5 (permalink)

when it is dark out start the car and close the hood till the light goes out or just pull the bulb out, then while the car is running look for any sparks that are coming out from the wires around the coil and cap and around the exhaust manifolds and also the coil because if it is cracked some spark will come out of the coil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71