84 crown vic ltd questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 20:32   #1 (permalink)
bill cv

84 crown vic ltd questions

I just bought this 84 crown vic station wagon for $700. It is in great shape with a little rust behind a couple wheels and the bottom of the doorgate. I knew the engine neede to be rebuilt. Changing valve cover gaskets confirmed it, I've never seen an engine so dirty inside! My questions are this; I'm not a skilled mechanic, but with my brothers help we should be able to pull the motor. Is it a good idea to look for a mustang engine, or a 351, or should I just stay stock? This car has the EFI fuel injection. Should I keep it, or go to a carburetor or the port injection? (Whatever it's called) Money is an issue. I have many more questions, but I'll bring them up later, in shorter posts! Thanks
bill cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 18:18   #2 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage
Re: 84 crown vic ltd questions

could try to find a 2007 Explorer 5.0 L engine to swap in and do a ECM change from a Mark VII with the HO setup to boost it ... go to car-parts.com

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 20:20   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic View Post
could try to find a 2007 Explorer 5.0 L engine to swap in and do a ECM change from a Mark VII with the HO setup to boost it ... go to car-parts.com
I was hoping you'd show up to help. You know a lot about those older Crown Vics. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18   #4 (permalink)
bill cv

Thanks, guys. I will look into the explorer engine, though I fear it may be out of my price range. A good place to start, though!
Old 02-16-2010, 13:03   #5 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

price of rebuilding may be more than a Explorer engine... i know i can find one for about $450 on internet or $100 from local junkyard. you will be impressed with an Explorer engine. it has better heads (gt40 or gt40p heads) better intake, firing order is easier on main bearings, and power increase will surprise ya... later on you can do a transmission upgrade to beef it up, better rear gears to make the waggin' fly, dual exhaust, upgrade brakes to disc all around and a few other things... too bad you are on other side of state from where i am or i could help ya out... i am on east side of Nebraska... below is link to a 1990 Country Squire with a Explorer engine

SF08 :: SF08038.flv video by Nebraskachickenfarmer - Photobucket

Old 02-16-2010, 18:22   #6 (permalink)

All I can say is DAMN
Old 02-17-2010, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

i belong to a couple sites about these cars and usually go to Pennsylvania for a meet for the big Ford cars... we mod these cars and do things to make them sleepers... i am in process tryin to find another waggin' myself. the one in the vid i saw beat a camaro iroc in the 1/4 mile by 5 car lengths... or should i say waggin' lengths.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:19   #8 (permalink)

lol :-P brings tears to my eyes when I hear about a 2 ton car beating a car like a camaro.

Have you checked out ebay..... I have seen a few of them on it
Old 02-17-2010, 22:11   #9 (permalink)
bill cv

thanks 87 crown vic!
You nailed it,
I'm not too concerned about the appearance right now, but I want it to go down the highway at a reasonable speed. I did see several explorer engines on the net also, priced as you said. We already have dual exhaust, a few holes, but it'll be replaced anyway.
The rear end brings up another question. which rear end is likely to be in the car, and what gears should i look for? I assume it's now geared to run 55mph, we're going to be running 85-90. I bought this car specifically for my summer vacation, usually drive to Wisconsin. plan to go through everything right out to the wheel ends. I won't be able to document everything like Andy, but I will have many questions. this is my first ford project. I'm looking forward to the process, as soon as my dune buggy sells i"ll have the money to start. (pueblo craigslist, the yellow one)
Old 02-17-2010, 23:12   #10 (permalink)
bill cv

just by way of conversation, my plans for this car. first, waiting on some money, so I'm using that time to clean the car and fix burnt out ashtray lights and stuff. I like the explorer engine idea, but I've seen a nice carbureted engine on craislist also. right now I see a nice explorer engine with the gt40p heads. $800.
do I need a new fuel pump then, too?
The cruise control works perfect. This car drives and rides great, so new shocks and look at the brakes, which work great. tranny seems good, we already know about the motor, which does run, but...
I have a set of 4 H4 halogen headlights, with 100 watt highbeams, plus a set of 100 watt driving lights, I like to drive at night on two lane roads. (please don't drive with your foglights on) I have three CB radios to choose from, bearcat scanner, radar detector, xm radio, head unit and all, plus a big old subwoofer&amp. All this stuff is in my garage now, so I might as well store it in the big car! Did I mention I am a trucker?
probly should hook it all up, since it's gonna be in there anyway. Find someone who knows what they're doing to tint the windows...patch up the rust holes, maybe find another doorgate.
Sleeper is exactly what I have in mind, primer and patches on the outside, luxury and power on the inside. When I go on vacation 75 percent of the reason is just to drive, so mileage is not a consideration. I want to be comfortable. that decision was made 6 hours into the first day of such a trip in a toyota RAV4. 4 banger. great car, but not for traveling. I told the wife, "we're getting a wagon", she said "yup". she's kinda quiet, y'know. next trip not before november, probly not till spring, so I have time to be patient. Unfortunately the best mechanic I know wouldn't come with us when we moved to colorado. enough for now, sorry. I'll try not to run on so much, but I am really looking forward to this.
I will have more questions, thanks in advance for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71