87 Crown Vic wagon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 07:34   #1 (permalink)

Question 87 Crown Vic wagon

Hi! New to this particular forum, as I'm looking to buy an 87 Crown Vic wagon in the coming weeks. Just wondering if anyone could point me at some known problem areas with these cars to watch for. Any tips would be appreciated.
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2004, 15:32   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: 87 Crown Vic wagon

If you find one made in january of 1987 I want it!! I'v been looking for one made in january for 3 years now. Got a sedan, but still looking for a wagon. Those wagons are great!! Nothing like'm! Lots of room, carries alot. If you can, towing package is a must! Towing package has a 3.55 rear gear and auto load leveling system along with hitch and engine upgrades. All 87s have 5.0L EFI, always check the throttle position sensor, EGR valve, and emission stuff. Also check the brakes, I don't know why but people chew up brakes in wagons and sedans. Oh and a 1987 crown victoria wagon is called a Country Squire.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 20:53   #3 (permalink)

Cool. Thanks for the info. The guy who has it says it may need brake pads/shoes for a safety inspection, but other than that, it's still a daily driver. He said it has air, but it hasn't worked since he owned it. I haven't messed with A/C systems much, but what are the odds it's something as simple as needing to be recharged? I'll check into the towing package - is there a VIN code for that I can look for to find out? He said there's some surface rust, but if it's a good runner for $500, I'm takin' it!!

And gotta ask, why made in Jan 87? Just so both cars are from the same month?
Old 08-24-2004, 14:50   #4 (permalink)
Taco_90

I've had troubles with the pick-up sensor and ignition module on my sedan and I'm currently having some more troubles yet to be determined. These cars seem to be pretty solid and reliable and I wouldn't worry about buying one...especially for $500. The only other thing I can complain about is the braking ability on ice. Even with new tires mine just loves to slide. Bluesteel's right about the room though...these things have tons of it and just float on the highway!
taco_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 16:15   #5 (permalink)

Well, as far as winter goes, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to put on something like Blizzaks, designed specifically for ice and snow driving. After a year and a half in a front driver, it will be nice to have a vehicle with proper rear drive ... that I can control on ice!! (I HATE front wheel drives ... always have, always will. I find them unpredictable in winter.) But until I can spring for 4 winter-only tires, she'll have to get by on all seasons.

Any recommendations on brands/specific tires?
Old 08-24-2004, 16:58   #6 (permalink)
Taco_90

You can't go wrong with Blizzaks. There should be a sticker on the rear Pass. side door frame with the tire size options. I think there is a series 70 sizing that would give a little better traction on ice. Otherwise you could use my preferred method...you know those snow drifts piled up on the sides of the road? Hey these cars are tanks! LOL
taco_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 17:53   #7 (permalink)

Saw my brother put a 68 Galaxie convertible straight through a 4 foot snowbank with no running start once ... THAT was a tank!! Gorgeous set of wheels though.
Old 08-24-2004, 18:43   #8 (permalink)
That guy

The reason for a jan 10th car is because I was born 1987 january 10th at 11:01 PM I wieghed 10 pounds and 11 ounces, thats what my birth certificate says. As for ice, the towing package is great for ice. It has limited wheel slip, one starts slipping the other engages. As for slipping on ice, my crown has never done that, it broke ice once :) I hit a road bump in a complex real hard cause I didn't see it due to snow, I have a push bar too, it flew, came down and the push bar busted pavement and ice :) Its made of half inch steel 2-1/2 inch wide :) My 87 has a 2.73 rear gear (stock). I have a 3.55 rear gear and air shocks for it I'm in the process right now installing, along with auto load leveling. Also taking the water pump back off to install a new double roller true timing chain and with stamped roller rocker and lifters with solid push rods. Also have 21 LBS mustang injectors with ported and polished intake, its no granny car, its a banchy :) Nick nammed Box Kife. Wait till I get a 87 jan wagon, it nick name will be War Wagon :)

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 19:18   #9 (permalink)

Well, sadly, it's a September 86 car ... NOT so sadly, the rust is SOOOOOO minimal and it runs and drives GREAT! The AC was disconnected because it needed recharging when they bought it 7 years ago. Not sure if that will mean a ceased compressor or if I'll just need to recharge it and hook up the belt to get working AC. I'm picking it up in about two and a half weeks. It's SWEET!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71