87 Grand Marquis tranny issues..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 10:57   #1 (permalink)

87 Grand Marquis tranny issues.....

Ok, well, first off, I lost overdrive a few months ago, so I started driving it in drive, and just the other night, it wouldn't shift into 3rd gear. So when I got to a light, I put iit in overdrive, and took off, and it started going into 3rd. Has this happened to anyone else??

Amanda

mybeast87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 17:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: 87 Grand Marquis tranny issues.....

Amanda... I hate to say it...
You're about to need a rebuild. The first sign is no overdrive, then it starts working its way back. Typically, overdrive and reverse go out at around the same time.

Might I recommend you read the "Panther T5 Swap" thread? Hehehe.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 20:52   #3 (permalink)

aod ? the tv cable probly came off and now your trans burn out
cabowabo-vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:25   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, it's an AOD. I'm thinking that 87 Marquis' just have issues with transmissions. This is the 2nd transmission this car has had, and with only 102,000 miles on it, that's pretty terrible. I don't even know the first thing abput rebuilding a tranny. Maybe I will just go to the junk yard, and get a tranny and engine for like $500. I would go for a 5.0HO or 351W. Hehehe...

Later Guys,
Amanda
Old 03-21-2006, 18:08   #5 (permalink)

The HO swap is a HUGE investment of time and money. If your lopo 302 is running well, stick with it as long as you can. Trust me on that. My swap is well into its fourth month.

I'm willing to bet, Amanda, that your TV cable grommet is blown/missing/not set properly and when the transmission was swapped, the grommet issue wasn't acknowledged or was ignored entirely. Without proper TV pressure, an AOD will start to go out in as little as a couple of months.

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

Check out that page and follow the instructions. Hopefully, you can get a little more life out of your AOD. If not, like I said, go read the Panther T5 Swap thread. :D

My Garage
Old 03-22-2006, 05:26   #6 (permalink)

You really think swapping my 302lopo with an h0 wouldnt be worth it?? I mean, I know that it would definitely take awhile, but, I thought putting a mass air flowed, multi port feluinjected 5.0 would help outalot when it comes to openingmy baby up and realy geting her running.
]
What kind of a swap are you doing?? I've always wanted to put a 351W in my grand marquis. It's my second one! I had an 85 before, definitely alot better than the 87 I have now. I'm thinking of investing in a old Crown Vic, they seem to be decent cars. It'd be tight to get ahold of a Galaxie, my friend, he's got a 1979 Ford Fairmont, had a straight 6 in it, but he rebuilt it, and f-ed up the whole engine, locked it up. So he did a 5.0HO swap, took him 2 years to get done. Now that wagon moves. lol....I didn't even know what a fairmont was until I met him. LoL....

Amanda
Old 03-22-2006, 17:03   #7 (permalink)

That's hilarious.
The HO swap can be done. It's just REALLY complicated in some aspects. I would recommend upgrading slowly. Swap out your throttlebody (have your EGR spacer bored out to match your throttlebody at a machine shop; max you can safely go is 63mm), then your upper intake. The next step would be the cylinder heads. The most common thing for people to do is swap the heads, cam, injectors, and computer all at the same time, since it's all somewhat tied together. That's the easy route to an HO. It's still "only" E7TE heads, but they're much better than the CV equipment. You'd pick up probably 75hp by doing all that and it can be completed for under $600. It's really not a bad deal- then you could upgrade, since you'd have a 302HO as a base.

I didn't do that. I went for the most efficient 302 Ford built: The GT-40P, which was in 1997.5+ 302-equipped Explorers.

I'm well into my fourth month of the swap, but I've also been doing a T5 at the same time... not to mention being a moderator here, carrying a full time job, running my own business on the side, being a single father, and dodging the "dating game" every chance I get. It could be done a lot more quickly, if things are properly prepared beforehand. I had just gathered all the parts for the T5 swap when my oil pump went on vacation, so I started with what I could and had to wait a long time to make real progress so I could buy all the random parts I needed.

Here's my combo, for the most part:

GT-40P from a 1998 Explorer, for starters:
Long block
Intakes (upper rotated 180*)
Fuel injectors
65mm throttle body (with CV throttle lever)

1989 Crown Victoria:
Oil pump, pick-up, and pan
Timing assembly and cover
Water pump
Distributor and ignition
Accessories/brackets
Fuel rails
Wiring

1988 Mustang GT:
Stock cam
EGR spacer
World Class T5
Hawks' Racing billet steel flywheel
FRPP King Cobra clutch
UPR clutch quadrant, cable, and firewall piece (all adjustable)

1984 Mustang GT:
Valve covers

1983 Mustang GT Turbo:
Clutch pedal

1990 Lincoln Mark VII:
ECM

1995 Crown Victoria PI:
Aluminum driveshaft (with 89CV yoke and pinion flange adapter)

Aftermarket:
FRPP 'P' headers
TrickFlow gasket set (rubber valve cover and oil pan gaskets)
TrickFlow 1" phenolic spacer
Adustable fuel pressure regulator (can't remember brand)
Accel "high performance" plug wires
Summit 40,000 volt ignition coil
AutoMeter tachometer
Hawks' Racing main girdle

My Garage
Old 03-23-2006, 06:48   #8 (permalink)

Well, it took my friend like a year to get his Fairmont running. I think I'm going to buy another car and put my marquis out of commission for now. My boyfriend and I are planning on fixing her up. Just gonna do an all out tranny/engine swap. He seems "h-e-double hockey sticks" bent on doing this. So, I'm gonna let him.
Old 03-23-2006, 16:45   #9 (permalink)

...but you could do the transmission swap now and slowly do the engine. What's wrong with what's in there?

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71