Ford Forums banner

88 crown vicky hard start rough idle no power

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I apologize in advance if this is already a thread. I have a 88 four door vicky that was my grandparents car, they bought it new. to make a long story short, grandpa past in 94, grandma past in 07. Vicky was garage kept until 07, when grandma past i gave the car to her life long friend. In 2010 the car stopped running, out of respect I didn't ask for it back.
I was given the car back last week.
It was very hard to start barely idled had to feather throttle to keep it running, so I picked it up with my towtruck and brought it home.

I changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel and air filter, oil, belts, tps, cleaned iac,throttle body, changed some vacuum lines and pigtail on the altenator it has 35psi at fuel rail.

started it up with no change at all. It only has an engine light top left corner of the cluster, no check engine light.
It takes 3or4 tries to start unless i tap the pedal, when I try to rev it up it boggs and sucks air and has no power at driving speeds. I tried pulling codes by the self test plugs, I can't get the light in the dash to blink, so i tried a test light and my fluke digital mm, the only responce i get is the relays click when i remove my jumper wire from the self test port.

Thanks in advance and sorry for long post.

See less See more
#4 ·
I bought a code scanner. 12 idle high, i adjusted the tps every way and throttle keeping voltage at .98v no change. 34 egr, cleaned and check with vacuum pump it is working changed evp, no change. Only other codes are o2 sensors.

Vacuum line are all working have a leak under dash on steering column by firewall, small white box with 2 hoses. Anyone know what this is?

It seem to actually idle to low.

#9 ·
I think i figured it out. Thank you everyone for input. My tow truck fixed it. We had a heavy rain last week, the way the bed is built on my hauler is it has the fuel cap on top and the bed will hold 2 inches of water depending on how its parked if the drain holes get plugged. Apparently my cap has a crack, anyway tank was filled with water. I drained and cleaned tank and lines, changed filter. It fired up and acked just like the vicky for about 20 min then smoothed out.

I guess i should have dropped the tank on the vic. I filled it up today and it is running alot better. Now its stumbling only when it shifts into OD. Probably torque converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.