88 LTD Crown Vic tranny - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 15:24   #1 (permalink)

88 LTD Crown Vic tranny

When 3rd gear and overdrive kick in, there is very little acceleration. If i'm going uphill in either one I will decrease in speed. The only way around it is too put the pedal to the metal and have the tranny drop down a gear. I've heard it could be the velocity of the exhaust so I put on a new muffler, no change. I put in some Lucas Oil tranny fluid, it helped a little but it stil sucks. New tranny? Valve body? What could it be?
88LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 21:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: 88 LTD Crown Vic tranny

That is how the tranny is nothing is wrong with it. What happens in third or overdrive depending what you drive in D or OD, But it is called direct drive and in order to pass or need more power to go up a hill you have to kick it down your self and you do this by putting half to full throttle. It allows the car to be more efficent on gas.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:44   #3 (permalink)

I hate it... I like having power in all my gears. But I guess if there's really nothing wrong with my tranny then I feel a little better. Thanks Amo.
88LTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 13:46   #4 (permalink)

If you want power going up a hill, you'd better look for a lighter car...

As stated, it's completely normal for the transmission (not only in the Crown Vic, but ANY vehicle with an automatic) to gear down once or twice when going uphill, or when needing to pass in a hurry. If the transmission didn't gear down, the engine would stall before you got to the top of the hill, and you'd risk rolling backwards.

The Crown Vics aren't pocket rockets - the weight & power of the vehicle varies from year to year, but we're talking roughly of a 155hp engine having to lug around approximately 5400 pounds of metal. Power & torque is fairly ample for a car of this size. However, it is no uphill racer. Maybe it sucks, but it's a luxury car. Leave the uphill racing to the pocket racers...

The way the exhaust breathes can have an affect on performance, but will have zero to do with how the transmission operates. Anyway, call it a good day - you walk away knowing there's nothing wrong with your car.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71