The 88 P72 has departed for painting! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2001, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

The 88 P72 has departed for painting!

This Morning was a milestone for me....My 88p72 was loaded on to a Roll-back Wrecker for a trip to the Paint and Body shop....I have sanded every inch of this car...It has No chrome , No paint,and no lights or Bumpers....Hince the need for the Roll-back...I am having what was a Ky.Highway Patrol Un-marked grey car painted Gloss-Black....The car will have Dual Spotlights like a CHP or Michigan State Police unit....The plugged antennae wholes will be re-opened to place Motorola Units in them. Last week I flew up to Charlottesville Va. to Buy a working Police Radar Unit for the car....This will complete the Cosmetic for show only look I'm seeking....The Motor Project will carry things to yet another level....I would sure like to see more Box Body fans become part of this Website....There are more than enough 92-01 fans at the www.crownvic.net ....Lets get the Boxers Pumped Up and excited here if we can.....The more shared knowledge the better for everyone.......Allen
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2001, 07:47   #2 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

it sounds like you'll have a real head turner when its done. its nice to see someone restore an old police cruiser for show. i dont see to many of them at car shows. theres always plenty of fire trucks but hardly any old cruises. good luck with it. keep us up to date and post some pictures when you can.
82f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 08:46   #3 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

cool

82f100, Thanks for the reply!!!....You would really be surprised just how much the Cop car collecting is catching on....Give another sight a try if you are Interested? www.copcar.com They have some real fanatics over there. They are not aligned with any particular make, however the webmaster is a real Old Model Mopar fan. My car will of course retain it's Un-marked unit style that it was in fact in Service with. The decals and lights are just to much of a hassle for me to want to get involved with. I did take my Radar Unit to the man that did my upholstry work this morning...The Reciever unit was done in a medium grey Vinyl or a cheap leather?...I turned it over to him to re-do the material to match my shadow(dark) Blue interior....Just another touch to keep things in sematry......Thank for your reply.....Allen
Old 05-11-2001, 10:04   #4 (permalink)
P71Times2

Allen, don't forget to take some pictures.. :)
Old 05-11-2001, 10:15   #5 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

Top of the day to you JW!!!...Diaz Body Shop is supposed to take before ,during and after Shots of the car....We shall see....Don't worry ,You guys will get to see the Cosmetic end before too long....Don't be upset with me if i don't raise the hood for ya!!!...That part is still in the works.....I may have to slow down on the New Motor a bit....Right now getting the car back on the Road is the Important thing to me.I will have a small battle with the DMV due to the fact that the car has been out of Inspection for a year as of this month..as well as the Tags..I did have to send the state a letter as to why to avoid a $250 fine!!!!...I will start my vacation on Tuesday morning after I get off work.....I will have ample time to over-see the work being done. I have a lot of faith in Diaz....He worked at the biggest Jaguar dealership between NY and Atlanta for over 15 years....He got tired of working for the Man as they say....His talent was wasting making them rich......Allen
Old 05-22-2001, 06:07   #6 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

hey two trick vics
we havent heard any more from you on your car. is it done yet? how does it look?
Old 05-22-2001, 06:37   #7 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

That's what I like about the states, you can do just about anything. I own 2 ex-highway patrol cars, would love to make them look like the real thing. Just one problem stands in my way, the cops themselves. if you so much as imitate a cop car, your busted. that includes ariels, colouring, lights whatever. I think they called it conspiracy, if you get caught doing a major crime with an imitation cop car it's an automatic 5 years jail before you even go before the judge.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:10   #8 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

doc
we are lucky to be able to do that here. i like to see the old police cars restored. the crown vics look sharp when done to look like a cop car. its unfortunate that some people dress there crown vics up to look like cop cars for the purpose of impersonating a cop. they give the hobbyist a bad name. i dont see to many crown vics where i live that look like cop cars(except the ones police drive). my crown vic is all stock. i dont want to draw attention to my self or my family. i get plenty of that when i'm out with the hudson club showing of the antiques cars.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:38   #9 (permalink)
Crown Vic P71 Member

frown

Mark, Sadly to say the car is not even close to being finished!! This not being a high yield Insurance deal , does not get the priority that others do.....I'll keep you posted........I think you guys may have taken my Goal with this car out of context....The Car will have two spot lights(Not Colored in any way)....The Antennae's on the rear quarter panel are a very Low-Key style....The Radar Unit I have remains tucked away in a briefcase in the trunk except for display only purposes!!!.....I have No desire to Impersonate or Hassle the general public..........Allen
Old 05-22-2001, 08:34   #10 (permalink)
Mod/Multicar Member

allen
i understood from your original post what you were doin. i never once got the impresion that you were trying to impersonate or hassle the public. i'm sorry if you took my last post that way. i think when your car is done you'll have a real head turner on the sreets and in the shows. how come if a guy restores an old police car people think he's trying to be a cop, and no one thinks a guy who restores an old fire truck is a fireman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71