89 CV, wheel width - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 20:23   #1 (permalink)
Performing Squirrel

89 CV, wheel width

I searched for wheel fitment threads, but didn't find anything for the "box" cars. I have an 89, and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether an 8" or 9" wide rim will fit under there and not scrub when steering.

I'd like to put a set of subtle 17x8's on it with some tires whose sidewalls aren't squishy going around corners. Eventually, between power and suspension upgrades, my goal is to make it a sedan that can hang with the Mustangs and Camaros in the twisties, and embarass the STUPID ricemobiles I have to listen to constantly when they pull up next to me at a stoplight and rev up when they hear my un-muffled 302 growling.

I need a bumper-sticker that reads, "Uncle Ben doesn't make race cars".

But first, wheels. So, does anyone have a box with 8" wide rims?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 10:18   #2 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage
Re: 89 CV, wheel width

if i remember right... the cars have 7 inch stock... i think some wagons had 7 1/2 inch wide wheels... i am sure you could go wider by just changing the wheel offset some compared to stock wheel offset...

here is a site i belong to and go by same screen name... has info for the back spacing and such...
Wheel specs

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71

Related Reading: 89 CV, wheel width