'92 Crown Vic, no start with P0114/P0116 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 18:47   #1 (permalink)

'92 Crown Vic, no start with P0114/P0116

My '92 CV daily driver won't start today. Cranks ok, engine turns, but no start. I checked the codes and found P0116, P0114, P0172 and P0332. (The car has the well documented valve seal oil leakage and related EGR passage issues, but still runs fine). I reset the codes and tried to start the car again, then again found codes P0116 and P0114. These codes refer to intake air temp and coolant temp. Will either of these suddenly prevent the car from starting? I have found P0172 and P0332 before when I checked the codes, but 114 and 116 are new. Car is well maintained and I just returned from a 600 mile round trip two days ago. Car has started ok since then, until today. Any ideas? Anything common between these two sensors?
geozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2006, 19:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: '92 Crown Vic, no start with P0114/P0116

Those two sensors will not stop the car from starting. Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to run? If not I would check the Pump Reset switch in the trunk on the driver side near the trunk lid hinge it should be pushed down if it is up. Also do you have spark?
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:06   #3 (permalink)

Re: '92 Crown Vic, no start with P0114/P0116

Just to follow up, I was able to get the car to start this morning, but it would not idle and ran roughly until it warmed up about 5 minutes. (That also anwered the questions about fuel pump and spark). I had to keep a light pressure on the accelerator to keep it running. I cleared and re-checked the codes, found them to be the same and decided to replace both the engine coolant and intake air temperature sensors to avoid further trouble and get to work reliably. Only cost $40 total from Advance . Car runs perfectly again now, and after a 120 mile trip I can see that gas mileage is improved.
Thanks for your help.
geozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71