Ford Forums banner

92' Grand Marquis fuel pump problem?

9K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Of course right after I take care of all the neglected maintenance from the previous owner the car dies.
was driving home from work (about 1hr ride & very hot today) and reached my block and decided to go to Walgreens for some odds and ends. so I park go inside for 10min and come out. the car starts fine I pull out of the spot fine and turn up the hill to my house and suddenly the car starts puttering like its running on 1/3 cylinders so i pull over immediately and put it in neutral and hit the gas to keep it from stalling and poof its stalled. started it for like half a second and stalled again and now will not restart.

looked at fuses and fuel pump 20a is blown so I go get a couple and replace it and fizz its blown after 2 start attempts.

go get the FP relay and install new fuse and fizz.. there goes another 5$ fuse.

so Im stumped and tired Ill try again tomorrow after work if it doesn't rain.

Anyone have similar issues? if so what was the culprit??
Advice on what to look for?? bad fuel pump??
do I have to drop the tank for the pump or is it a through the back seat thing?

any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!!

p.s. its a 4.6 and I just replaced the fuel filter 4 days ago.thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never seen a fuel pump blow a fuse. I'd check the wiring to the rear and see if any is grounding to the frame. You can unplug the fuel pump and see if the fuse blows the same way. If you do need to replace the pump, you can take it out from underneath behind the differential.

#4 ·
The button is supposed to be depressed. You can hit the panel next to it and when it pops, the power from it to the fuel pump is shut off. Then you can see if the fuse blows. If it doesn't, you'll know the problem is from there to the pump or the pump. You can just press the red button and everything is back to normal.

#5 ·
so I tripped the fuel cutoff and cranked it and the fuse didnt blow. depressed it an the fuse blew again upon crank. inspected all wires and harnesses and all are in great shape and very clean. however the housing of the fuel pump is heavily corroded and rusted so Im thinking its the pump. Ill be replacing it later this week.

#7 ·
ok so I have the new pump in the car . the old one was shorting out due to it rubbing up against the housing over time cut through the wire.
however while removing the fuel lines one of the lines broke(the return) off the pump housing so now I have a nub sticking out of the quick connect and it will not release it. unless Im using the wrong tool I have no idea how to get this thing out. I had a friend pulling on vise grips while I held the line and it didnt budge. Im using little plastic quick connect release thing's. if there is another tool Id appreciate any info you guys have on it(possibly a link to a pic of it).

Thanks!!

#8 ·
Does it have one black and one white clip that hold the lines in? Those should pull out and the line comes out. If it's the spring clip type, push the line in before you push the tool in to unlock it. Sometimes dirt gets in behind the spring and you need to blow it out with air before trying to remove it.

#9 ·
the one with the clip is on my fuel filter and was very easy to remove and reinstall. the fuel pump lines are spring clips but different than Ive been seeing on the net. I would really like to just get a new fuel line at this point but no one seems to sell one. cant find a braided line with a spring clip only nylon with a clip connect. Im just going to keep trying to pull the nub of a fuel line out until something breaks or it comes out, I dont know what else to do. If I could find even the right ends I would bend a line and fab something up.

#11 ·
The problem was the fitting(collar) that produces the seal between the quick connect and the fuel line. it had frozen to the fuel line and made removal impossible. I carefully removed the line with the quick connect insides attached to it and removed them from the line once out, cleaned them and re installed.
if I could only find someone selling a line with a quick connect like I had I would have just bought a new line ages ago. would have saved me some grief.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.