92 grand marquis tranny trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 18:13   #1 (permalink)

92 grand marquis tranny trouble

Hi. I just bought this car and it is in great shape and runs great but in o.d. at about 45 mph the tranny starts to slip and will go no faster. If I put it in drive it seems to go away but still hesitates sometimes. I dont know how long its been since the fluid was changes car has 200,000 on it. Any advice?
booyah1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 19:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: 92 grand marquis tranny trouble

First, how's the fluid level in the transmission? If that's low, it'll do stuff like that. Assuming that's good, you could have a problem with sticking valves inside the trans. I'd do a fluid and filter change first. I'm not positive that AOD-E transmissions have a torque converter drain, but they most likely do, and assuming it does, you should drain it when you change the fluid. Another thing you might try is a can of Seafoam Transtune. It's supposed to help loosen up stuff that's gotten stiff or stuck.

Hope this helps.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:35   #3 (permalink)

The fluid level is fine. I took it to a shop yesterday and there was a grrommet missing that holds some cable on the throttle body and the guy told me that if that cable comes off and it is driven for even just 10 miles it can ruin alot.
Well it was and I dont have o.d. any more. He said I can just drive it in 3rd for now and hope it will last. I only paid $500 for the car and didnt want to put alot into it although the rest of the car is great.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:31   #4 (permalink)

Ahh yes, the famous TV grommet. When those go bad, if you don't replace 'em fast, your tranny's toast. Did they replace it with another plastic one or with a brass one? For box panthers there's a brass bushing you can get instead of the stock plastic one...that won't go to pieces after awhile. Not sure if a '92 would use the same thing or not, but it's worth finding out.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:52   #5 (permalink)

They put another plastic one in. It seems to have helped but o.d. is still gone. They told me $900 to $1200 to rebuild it. That sounds like alot. I wouldnt be oposed to putting 500 to 600 in it but not that much. Its a shame because the car is so nice inside and out and it has a newer motor in it too.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:32   #6 (permalink)

You could attempt a boneyard tranny swap. Thing to watch out for is one that's in the same shape as yours (check the bushing condition on the donor car) because you have a risk of ending up in the same (or worse) condition than you are now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71