'94 Crown Vic Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 15:25   #1 (permalink)

'94 Crown Vic Issues

Hey all, how's it going?

I own a 1994 Crown Vic. It's a gorgeous car and I love it. However, I'm having serious issues with it. If I can't fix it then I have to get rid of it and I really don't wish to do that.

I'm able to start the car, however, it immediately idles very roughly, sometimes to the point of stalling. Once it warms up after about 5 minutes of running I'm able to drive it, however it has serious power issues where it gurgles and sometimes jolts in the low speed. This usually clears up when it hits 50kmph. It runs smoothly in-between 50-80kmph however, sometimes, the power just cuts out and I lose speed. After a minute of this it will regain it's power and drive fine, that is until I have to slow down or stop. Then the gurgling issue starts all over again. Sometimes, when I accelerate the car will jolt a bit, as if the fuel has been cut off. Sometimes, but not all of the time, the check engine light will come on.

At first I thought (hoped) it may have been a clogged fuel filter. I took it off and blew an air through it and nothing. It was clear. Ok no luck. Then I tried fuel injector cleaner for a couple of weeks. Nothing still. On a whim, I checked the spark plugs. They're all fine. Next, I checked to see if the catalytic converter was plugged. Well, this car has 4 catalytic converters! There was some signs of burning in the filters, but nothing major. After cleaning them out and re-installing them the car ran the same, if somewhat louder. Next, I though maybe a fuel-injector sensor issue may be the problem. Thinking about the check engine light, I thought that I should have the car scoped. Which I did. Nothing. Not a single code. I figured if there was a sensor issue then it would have showed up on the scope.

I have no idea as to what to do. Do I replace the fuel injectors? Am I mistaken as to it being a fuel issue? Does anyone have any ideas? Please help.

Thank you all for your time.

Best Regards,

The Black Knight
TheBlackKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: '94 Crown Vic Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackKnight
Hey all, how's it going?

I own a 1994 Crown Vic. It's a gorgeous car and I love it. However, I'm having serious issues with it. If I can't fix it then I have to get rid of it and I really don't wish to do that.

I'm able to start the car, however, it immediately idles very roughly, sometimes to the point of stalling. Once it warms up after about 5 minutes of running I'm able to drive it, however it has serious power issues where it gurgles and sometimes jolts in the low speed. This usually clears up when it hits 50kmph. It runs smoothly in-between 50-80kmph however, sometimes, the power just cuts out and I lose speed. After a minute of this it will regain it's power and drive fine, that is until I have to slow down or stop. Then the gurgling issue starts all over again. Sometimes, when I accelerate the car will jolt a bit, as if the fuel has been cut off. Sometimes, but not all of the time, the check engine light will come on.

At first I thought (hoped) it may have been a clogged fuel filter. I took it off and blew an air through it and nothing. It was clear. Ok no luck. Then I tried fuel injector cleaner for a couple of weeks. Nothing still. On a whim, I checked the spark plugs. They're all fine. Next, I checked to see if the catalytic converter was plugged. Well, this car has 4 catalytic converters! There was some signs of burning in the filters, but nothing major. After cleaning them out and re-installing them the car ran the same, if somewhat louder. Next, I though maybe a fuel-injector sensor issue may be the problem. Thinking about the check engine light, I thought that I should have the car scoped. Which I did. Nothing. Not a single code. I figured if there was a sensor issue then it would have showed up on the scope.

I have no idea as to what to do. Do I replace the fuel injectors? Am I mistaken as to it being a fuel issue? Does anyone have any ideas? Please help.

Thank you all for your time.

Best Regards,

The Black Knight
You didn't mention if you checked the age and condition of the plug wires-a sore spot on those 4.6's. Spray some water on them with a spray bottle too and see if the engine runs rougher, along with an electrical lights show. Did you check fuel pressure??? Was the Check Engine Light on when you checked the codes???
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 17:37   #3 (permalink)

Re: '94 Crown Vic Issues

tbird100636, thanks for your reply! I am a complete novice when it comes to mechanics, so in answer to your questions, I've done none of the above. Regarding the check engine light, no it wasn't scoped when the light was on. Never seems to be on when I take it to get looked at. I shall take your suggestions and try them out. Will let you know the results.
Old 06-07-2007, 17:58   #4 (permalink)

Not sure as to the age of the plug wires, however they look fine, no damage or wear etc. I sprayed water on them as well, no change to the engine running or with the check engine light.

I read a post regarding a '95 crown vic having similar issues. In it they though that the EGR valve may have been the culprit. Could this be the case with mine?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:02   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: '94 Crown Vic Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackKnight
Not sure as to the age of the plug wires, however they look fine, no damage or wear etc. I sprayed water on them as well, no change to the engine running or with the check engine light.

I read a post regarding a '95 crown vic having similar issues. In it they though that the EGR valve may have been the culprit. Could this be the case with mine?
If it's the factory Motorcraft wires (It will say Motorcraft on them) look for a date code on them. It will either be a year or a month and year. If they are older than 4 years they are due for replacement.

As for the EGR valve, it could cause your conditions. The PFE EGR Sensor can alsocause these conditions. (EGR Pressure Sensor)
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 17:14   #6 (permalink)

The wires aren't motorcraft. I can't find a date on them. Chances are they need replacement anyways. As for the EGR valve, I've disconnected and plugged the vacuum line from it. I've already noticed a difference in power and pickup. However, it still hiccups. I'll drive it for a couple days and see of it gets any better.
Old 06-21-2007, 23:36   #7 (permalink)

You should do the following get intake cleaner and a clean your throttle body, IAC, and EGR valve and that should fix your problem. I have the same car GM 94 and it did the same think. Something very important you must do is replace the gaskets because they most likely are fried and brittle. One more thing..check for disconnected or , in my case, broken vacuum lines.
MercMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71