94 Crown Victoria Coolant Leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40   #1 (permalink)

Question 94 Crown Victoria Coolant Leak

Hi, I have a 94 Crown Victoria with an intermitant coolant leak. I originally thought the thermostat was bad and creating a back pressure. I found it was bad and changed it. I now get really good heat and much better overall cooling. Problem is, every so often it leaks antifreeze from the rear by the firewall, but no bad hoses or clamps. Not from the engine itself as the oil is clean. Anyone help with this, or had this problem before?
Cheers,
Mike
tigertail222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:02   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 94 Crown Victoria Coolant Leak

If you get a coolant pressure tester and load the system it should make locating the leak easier .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Follow Logan's advice. Then, if the leak still appears to be coming from the rear of the engine, check the heater tube and hose that runs under[I] the intake manifold.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:13   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your responses. I will follow what you have mentioned. Strange place for a heater hose, under the intake, but in this day and age, anything is possible!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36   #5 (permalink)

I checked the hose out and it does need to be replaced. Strange place for a heater hose to be routed but, whatever! A little research and it will not be difficult to change. Remove the alternator to get at it, remove the clamp and cut off the hose. Remove the pipe at the rear of the engine, one screw. Fish enough 5/8 or 3/4 hose under the intake and clamp it on. Clamp the other end to the heater core. Re-attach the alternator. Should not take much more than an hour or two, depending on what surprises come up! Thanks for telling me about the hose under the intake, I never would have looked there.
have a great day,
Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Hi Mike:

It's actually easier just to remove the intake manifold. This allows you to replace the metal heater tube with an OEM hose and tube, which is often corroded near the rear heater hose connection. It also allows you to inspect other problem areas, such as corrosion around the heads and intake manifold near the water passages.

Use new OEM intake manifold gaskets, I have not had good luck with Felpro gaskets in this application.

The most difficult part of the job is reaching the 10 mm EGR bolts (if '94 and '92's are the same). You may want to replace the EGR valve, or at least give it a good cleaning, when the manifold is off. It will never be easier to access.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45   #7 (permalink)

Hello Bajarider, I had many thoughts about removing the intake manifold, as I have a spare 4.6 engine in the back yard, which I am striping down. I decided against it mainly because my 97 Explorer needs much work and I will need the CV on the road this week.
I removed the alternator, took a small 4 inch knife and cut the hose, which is where the leak was, there was a hole in it which I could almost fit my baby finger in!! Took a small vise gripe on the clamp to keep it open, cut along the hose to the clamp and then a long screwdriver to ease the piece of hose off. Recommend using a thin glove to prevent scrapes on the back of your hand. Learned this one the hard way, some nasty edges.
I then took the 5/8 inch heater hose and made a "U" shape, inserted it and put it on the pipe from the water pump. Used a new clamp, and that part was done. I did this because no matter how I tried to fish it through, as some have done, it just wouldn't go.
There is plenty of space to route this beside the alternator, vibration will not be an issue. To the rear, cut off the old hose at the pipe and then where it bends. Took a piece of 5/8 pipe and connected the two heater hoses together. Filled the antifreeze up and thankfully no leaks!! Car runs great and has some heat again! Left the old metal pipe in there, should not create any problems. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help, and will see about some photos for this repair and my 94 CV. A friend who takes care of his vehicles sold me this sweetheart for 500.00!
Cheers, and have a great weekend.
Mike
Old 03-15-2013, 07:04   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all for the help on this one. I have posted pictures in my albums of my 94 and the repair pictures. Find them at tigertail222 profile.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:18   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

Hello Tiger:

Glad that you got it to work!

Thanks for the tips, you have more patience than I.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertail222 View Post
Thank you all for the help on this one. I have posted pictures in my albums of my 94 and the repair pictures. Find them at tigertail222 profile.
Here is picture of the hose routing. I have been driving the car for two weeks now and the comfort and power to the pavement is refreshing!!

Cheers,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71