94 GM Driver Door Pops - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 11:00   #1 (permalink)

94 GM Driver Door Pops

The driver's door gives a loud "POP" when opened fully. I can tell the noise is coming from the roller on the pin in the lower hinge. What's the fix for this?
MarksMarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 12:46   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 94 GM Driver Door Pops

Usually the pins wear out and the rubber catch mecahnism gets a spot worn in it. You can change the pins but the roller will still give trouble. Here's some information with pictures. Ford Crown Victoria Door Hinge Replacement
Old 11-10-2010, 16:12   #3 (permalink)

Bert—
Thanks for the info and all the pictures. I finally got back to work on this project.
The bad hinge was the lower one with the door holding roller. I decided to see if I could get a new hinge instead of salvaging one from a junkyard. I was afraid that I would get one worse than the one on the car. After all the GM only has 41,000 miles. The hinge was available as a special order but it came the next day. It was Ford part number 6W1Z5422810A and cost $60. It was chrome plated so I primed it and painted it with a $7 can of spray touch-up paint.
The nuts for the hinge bolts are part of the bodywork so you don’t need to take the door apart. The stud on the body side has the only nut and it is accessible through the kick panel on the driver’s side. You have to remove the panel and disconnect three electrical connectors for access. Put some sticky tape on your socket so you don’t drop the nut into God-knows-where.
You’ll need a ½ inch u-joint socket to get out the bolt between the door and the fender. That’s one with the knuckle as part of the socket. There isn’t room for a u-joint and a socket. Be sure to put some tape on the door and fender to protect the paint as you remove that bolt.
You have to unbolt the top door hinge from the door and pull the door away to be able to remove the lower hinge and put the new one in. Mark the top hinge before unbolting it and be sure to carefully line it up again when you put it back together. It’s a lot easier to align the door if one hinge is where it should be set. You will need help holding the door to get it aligned. I supported the door with a couple of wood blocks and a blanket to protect the paint. It took multiple tries with the bottom hinge to get the door aligned but it finally ended up just about perfect
The whole project took about four hours and would have taken a lot less if I had known what I described here.
MarksMarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the detailed update. Now you have to make sure the hinges are lubed so they don't ahve others go bad.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71