94 Marquis heater control valve - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 18:55   #1 (permalink)

94 Marquis heater control valve

How do I test the heater control valve on my marquis? Blower works but no heat when temp lever moved to far right. If I disconnect the electrical connector to the heater control valve and put a volt meter on the 2 connector pins, what should I see if the electrical switch is working properly? If I am getting current at the right time, how to I check if the valve is working (i.e., should I hear a click or something when it is energized?). Thanks.
rreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 20:09   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 94 Marquis heater control valve

You should hear a motor move when the control is moved from cold to hot or hot to cold. Listen closely with the key on and the engine off. The blend door motor is the normal culprit. Do both heater hoses get hot to the heater core?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22   #3 (permalink)

Okay thanks. I will check the hose temperatures tonight. What I was also looking for is a way to test the heater control valve. If I remove the connector to the valve (under the hood) and apply 12 volts to one pin and ground the other, will I hear something audible to tell me whether the valve is working or not? Does it matter which pin gets the 12 volts? Thanks once again.
Old 09-01-2011, 21:11   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There's no valve for the heater hoses on a Grand Marquis. If something is in the line to the heater, it was added by someone.
Old 09-02-2011, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

heater cores are simple setup... on the older ones there wasnt really a valve, but instead a sensor... it was to turn on/off the system for the auto climate control stuff... usually what causes ... on the older Grand Marquis it was a wire that moved the blend door and the door would break where the wire connected... vacuum was used for the areas for where air was supposed to go... just sayin how it is in mine, but yours is newer so its probly different... might wanna see if you can remove glovebox or stuff to see the blend door area to see if anything is moving when you move the temp control

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25   #6 (permalink)

Here's what I'm talking about:

94 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis Heater Valve - Climate Control - Four Seasons, Motorcraft - PartsGeek

It's a valve under the hood and came with the car (i.e., not added by someone else). It's in line with one heater hose, has a factory two pin power connector on one side, and some small vacuum lines on the other side. I just wanted a way to determine whether this device was working correctly or not before I take on the more difficult task of trying to get under the dash. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 17:50   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

My wiring diagrams from the Ford factory manual doesn't show any heater valve in the system. Either way, with the engine hot and the heater on, both heater hoses should be hot. One more so than the other. If they are, the problem is inside with the blend door.
Old 09-02-2011, 19:48   #8 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

that valve is for the aut climate controls... the wiring for it can be fixed by simply putting in a jumper wire between the plug end... them things are a headache...

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71