96 Crown Vic Police PKG Engine problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 08:29   #1 (permalink)

96 Crown Vic Police PKG Engine problem

I have a 1996 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with 106k on the engine. I do understand these engines are put through hell especially ceing this was a state trooper's unit.

The problem I've been having is that when on a cold start, the car seems to run fine (other than the #3 misfire which i have no problem with right now) But after driving it say, around the block like just a minute ago, under heavy acceleration (and after a short while under ANY acceleration) the engine seems to want to stall. The more I press the gas, the harder it wants to stall. The engine however does NOT usually kill. only a few times has it killed after running for a few hours. When i force this condition, there is a deep thumping noise at about 500-600 bpm. At least I believe that's close. I'm going to try to attach an audio file I just record a few minutes ago for better diagnostics. Also when this condition is forced, every now and then there is a loud *POP* that comes from the intake. (i figure it's a backfire only coming from the intake rather than the exhaust).

When I first started having these problems, the car had actually died going down the road (fuel pump gave out). So I had the pump changed out and the tank flushed out (car sat up for 5 years). I drove it off the yard there and for the rest of the night it worked superbly. Then, the very next day, it starts up again, shortly after i noticed that there was a loud whining noise coming from the fuel pump location (This could be heard from the inside of the car while driving, and even more coming down the road, lol) The car then started to act as it did when the pump started going out the week before.

I did bring the car back to the mechanic and they said the pump was fine and there was nothing they could do without charging me more money to take my s**t apart and look at it that way. I know there's a better way to go about this than that. I don't like having to pay someone else to do something I can do myself.

These are the things I've researched about and tried so far:

Changed fuel pump.
Changed fuel filter.
Changed condenser sensor (separate problem)
Dissasembled and cleaned off wires on the Mass Airflow Sensor (no buildup found)
Ran injector cleaner through fuel system (no help)
Used a long screwdriver to confirm functionality of all 8 injectors (all good)
Oil OK
Checked Throttle Body for buildup, not much found so did not try to clean out.

Other possibilities not yet looked at:

Distributors (was told that the right one may be putting off less power then the left)
Electronic Ignition (Unsure if this model has that)
Clogged Injectors (Seems unlikely since car runs fine on cold start)
Clogged Fuel Lines
A few more sensors

As I stated before the #3 cylinder is dead. The oil ring is gone and there is a oil-burner (spark spacer) on the spark plug. #4 may also be starting to burn off. Spark plugs are NOT running recommended performance (plugs are too weak for cars) but this has not stopped it from running right on cold starts and when i first got the car. I've ruled out many possibilities and am now down to almost nothing. I need advice on what to look at next. I'm hoping this is just a simple fix, like it usually is for me when I have what seems to be a major running problem in a car. This car has not been driven other than today in almost 2 weeks now. I want my car back, lol.

That's all the information I can think of right now, I may post again updates on anything I've looked at or symptoms I've found before a reply is made. Will try to post the audio file now.

Thanks in advance!
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2006, 08:36   #2 (permalink)

96 Crown Vic Police PKG Engine problem - Audio File

This is the Audio File I uploaded to SaveFile.com

This file is appx. 885KB in size.
1996 Crown Vic Police PKG Engine Audio File

Date Uploaded: September 3, 2006
Date File Will Be Deteled: October 3, 2006 (30 days)
Old 09-03-2006, 17:28   #3 (permalink)

Re: 96 Crown Vic Police PKG Engine problem

Judging by the sound, i would say you might have an intake valve stuck open.
RK4332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:59   #4 (permalink)

Have you cleaned the MAF it self and not just the wires? Also I would check the voltage at your TPS sensor. And for the pop sounds like you pcv valve and or tube is clogged. Also for the number 3 cyclinder being dead might just need to change that coil for the cyclinder because you do not have a Distributor on that engine.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:34   #5 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

The problem on the cylinder is probably your coil pack or maybe a faulty wire for that cylinder. The popping sound is what mine sounded like when the engine was getting air around the MAF sensor(a crack or something in the tube)or maybe a loose fitting leading to the Throttle body ,either way it will produce those popping sounds that get worse with acceleration.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30   #6 (permalink)

As far as the MAF is concerned, I'm not exactly sure how to really "clean" it. The only information I could find was with the q-tip and windex or rubbing alcohol. The two little wires weren't really that dirty however. If someone could explain the proper way to clean the MAF it would be much appreciated.

And the #3 cylinder is dead because the oil ring has disappeared. There is an oil burner on the spark plug. Mechanic told me only way to fix that is by getting a rebuild kit (no labor charge at least) or dropping a new engine in.

For the pcv valve, I'm not quite sure how to go about checking that, I can't seem to find much information on where it's located nor can i find much info on the tps sensor (Plus i don't have a voltage meter). Any other suggestions on ow to go about this? I know I'm close, but it's just right out of my reach.

BTW thought about dropping the tank out and taking out the fuel pump to check for damage. Is this a good idea though? I don't know what that would mean if it was damaged as far as bringing it back to the shop is concerned.

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2006, 17:16   #7 (permalink)

Some more information would be much appreciated. My car still sits at the back of the yard crying for attention. I started her up and ran her around the block the other day with a little more gas in it and she ran pretty good till the last stretch where she started chugging and bogging down again. Had to idle her home before i got stranded in the neighborhood. Anyways, please give more thoughts and ideas!

Sincerely,

Rion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71